Local purchase

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ilikeninjas90, Jun 14, 2008.

1. ilikeninjas90 macrumors regular

Hey guys

I think Im going to buy a macbook tomorrow from a local dealer on craigslist for 650. The specs are 2.0 ghz C2D, 1gb of ram, 8gb hard drive, leopard, and applecare.

So what I basically want to ask is what I should do once I meet with him. For example, what should I check on the macbook aside from physical condition and etc... What apps should I check and how do I check the specs? (New to macs)

thanks

2. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Physically, I would check for scratches, dents, chips, and scuffs. Depending on how important the look is for you, those things may annoy you.
    I would also check to make sure that the Mac comes with all of the cables, attachments, and discs (either Leopard retail or Leopard system restore *for your model* discs).

To check system specs, go to the Apple icon on the menu bar (top-left corner), use the menu to select 'About this Mac'. That will give you basic specs. Then click the 'more info' button to open System Profiler to see the comprehensive breakdown of hardware.

3. ilikeninjas90 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks a lot

in terms of condition Im not looking for too much, as long as there aren't any dents

sorry to ask but what cables do the macbook come with?

thanks

4. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

The charger is a three piece kit; the charger, the wall plug (to plug the charger directly to the wall), the extension cable (to make the charger about twice as long).

5. Indohottie macrumors 6502

Indohottie

I would check the screen for stuck or dead pixels, check battery life by downloading cocnut battery or one of the many widgets..

I would def met in a public place where there is free wifi to make sure the airport extreme card works.. check functionallity of all keyboard keys.