Local Reception Analysis: Los Angeles

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DiegoFrancisco, Jun 10, 2009.

1. DiegoFrancisco macrumors member

I'm considering buying my first iPhone, but want to know what the real-life reception for calls and 3G is like, here in L.A., for current iPhone users. I searched extensively, but couldn't find any information more recent than October 2008, when people seemed to be having a lot of issues with dropped calls and low 3G speeds.

I've found a lot of pages that say way more than I want to know, yet still don't answer my question: "The new HSPDAQWG+6.pi just came out but AT&T only provides Q3GBDIG. However, in August they'll update to the new dual-discombobulator MILF47.11 but only to the Pransbambler standard. Yay/Boo!"

I would just like to see a simple, cut-and-dry page that says, "if you live in _____, here's what kind of performance you can expect at this point in time." EVERY potential buyer is trying to find this out. Thanks!

2. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

Go to ATT's forums.. theres a LOT more info there

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It's better than T-Mobile but not as good as Verizon.

4. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Well I can help you with this. I have an iPhone 3G. Reception and data speeds are fantastic in downtown LA. I routinely get 1.1 mbps for download speed. I don't get very many dropped calls, although they have happened.

If you're going to be around the USC area, which is a little South of Downtown, you might get a little bit of flakey 3G coverage around Hoover and 30th. Overall, I'd rate the LA coverage excellent. I don't go in and out of 3G much so that saves on power.

5. bigmouth macrumors 6502

I've had very few problems in the WLA/SM area. Reception and speed are significantly better than in other cities I've visited, such as NYC. That said, there are occasionally dead spots.

6. ikarus79m macrumors member

I would rate coverage in LA pretty poorly. Especially while driving on the 101 there's at least 3-4 dropped calls between Glendale and Northridge. Dropped calls are actually the biggest problem, especially while driving around.

I assume AT&T has poor 3G coverage in Los Angeles and still hasn't figured out the perfect handoff to EDGE.

I can only hope that the network upgrades or the new iPhone 3GS will take care of this pesky problem!

7. DiegoFrancisco thread starter macrumors member

I don't want to go to ATT's forums, I like it here;)

And I don't need a LOT more info, as a matter of fact I think that's the problem for most people, myself included. Lots of numbers and random acronyms that I don't want to go figure out.

I've found a lot of pages that say way more than I want to know, yet still don't answer my question: "The new HSPDAQWG+6.pi just came out but AT&T only provides Q3GBDIG. However, in August they'll update to the new dual-discombobulator MILF47.11 but only to the Pransbambler standard. Yay/Boo!"

I would just like to see a simple, cut-and-dry page that says, "if you live in _____, here's what kind of performance you can expect at this point in time." EVERY potential buyer is trying to find this out. Thanks!

8. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

My experience is just the opposite.

9. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

UNFORTUNATELY Diego - unless you learn where the towers are and why they dont work and where, you get responses like the above..

"I had crappy coverage in so-and-ao area the whole time I was there"

"Well, it was the opposite for me. I was in the exact same place and had great coverage"

So you might as well just buy one and try it or learn for yourself why things work the way they do if you want a real answer

10. redman042 macrumors 68020

LA, NY and SF (along with other areas) are known for poor AT&T coverage and an overburdened network, but these are the key areas where AT&T is feverishly adding 850 mHz overlays which will double capacity and provide much better range and in-building coverage. Large sections of LA have already been switched over. I'm watching a similar thing take place in the Sacramento metro area (but coverage has been decent here for a while).

In fact this is a big reason why AT&T is delaying MMS and tethering until late summer - they want to get this overlay done first.

So expect widely varying answers based on where people are, if their area has been overlayed and fine-tuned, and expect big improvements over time.

11. DiegoFrancisco thread starter macrumors member

Icarus mentioned that the reception is spotty in the Valley, but it sounds like when you're in the city it's not so bad. This is more info than I've gotten anywhere else, thanks!

12. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Well I gave areas of where I had good and bad service. When he said Los Angeles I took that to mean downtown, and that was opposite of my experience. Of course I know it depends on where you are, which is why I explained that in further detail in my first reply.

13. DiegoFrancisco thread starter macrumors member

Does anyone know how good 3G is in Beverly Hills and Santa Monica?

14. galenmd macrumors regular

BH:
    Fairly good in the business district.
    Very poor in the residential areas, especially N. of SM blvd. I mean really bad.
    Coverage by Cedars and in Century City is excellent.
    Coldwater Cyn absolutely sucks.

SM: no clue.

I agree with the post on the 101. My calls get dropped every 1-2 minutes at times.

15. manueld macrumors 6502

LA is so huge that unless you specify which area YMMV.

16. adster macrumors regular

I've been in West Hollywood since august and the service is just awful. Driving around Hollywood / West Hollywood I get quite a few dropped calls. I live off SM Blvd and Fairfax and I can't get signal in my home. I have to put the phone next to a window or go outside to talk.

To each his own I guess...

17. joekun macrumors regular

I have great service at home (Hollywood, Vermont/Sunset area), and things were decent at work (miracle mile) until about a month ago. My indoor signal went from great to unusable. I can't even answer a call in the office anymore, and I work 10' from a window. Outside everything is great. I'm speaking entirely about voice service here, as indoor data has always been flaky at work with no sign of 3G at all.

18. wr1020 macrumors regular

Anyone know how the service is in the Burbank/Glendale/Pasadena area? I live in Burbank and go to school in pasadena so if anyone can comment i'd appreciate it. Have my 3G S coming on Friday, can't wait.

19. ZebraineZ macrumors 6502

It's a rollercoaster up here in Burbank.

One day its perfect call quality and 3G speeds, the next day its No Service and dropped calls.

Pick your poison but I get wifi about 1/2 the places I go to so I'm not that bother :)