Local RSS feed + dynamically parsed xml + javascript(?) + aw hell..+

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by yellow, Aug 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Here's what I have:
    I have a site using RapidWeaver and I'm using the blog plug-in for site "news".
    I published this "news" as a RSS feed using the built-in functionality of the blog plug-in. This creates a "feed://domain.com/path/news.xml" that is viewable in an RSS feeder.

Here's what I'd like to do:
    On the index.html page of the site, I'd like to have a small window (frame?) that dynamically parses the XML of the RSS feed, and displays just 1 entry from the entire feed (say 4 or 5 articles). This I've managed to accomplish (more or less).
    But, I'd also like to have the contents of this window change between all of the RSS feed entries listed after n seconds.

So effectively the main page has a little window that shows the latest published news entries, but changes so it's not static and boring, since the news updates are more on a weekly basis. Just to add a bit of slick look to the site.

Is this possible?

My head is spinning from options for javascript, ajax, php, etc, etc.. Do I need to publish this externally through something like FeedBurner?
    Clearly since I'm using RapidWeaver I don't know what the **** I'm doing, and now I'm lost from looking at so many different options that don't seem to do what I wasn.
    I don't know where to start over from and I'm hoping someone who actually groks this stuff can give me a pointer.

TiA.

2. yellow thread starter Moderator emeritus

yellow

Wait.. I just discovered that feedburner might do this for me.

:eek:

More to follow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.