Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
I have it enabled, and also know how to disable via trim enabler. My question is more that it is currently using 93GB of space. If I need more space, will it auto delete? Secondly how much will it use before it stops taking space. My concern is I do a lot of encoding / downloading and don't want it to compromised transfer speeds.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I have it enabled, and also know how to disable via trim enabler. My question is more that it is currently using 93GB of space. If I need more space, will it auto delete? Secondly how much will it use before it stops taking space. My concern is I do a lot of encoding / downloading and don't want it to compromised transfer speeds.

When the disk is 80% full it will start deleting data to shrink the space used for local backups.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
OK cheers, why is it making local backups when my Time Machine has been on 24/7 for the last week since I got it?

So you have access to those files (versions) when away from the TM backup. It can be useful. I was on a trip last year and wanked up my iBank file trying to reconcile, and found a version from a couple days ago in the local backup and restored it. All without even having access to my TM backup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.