Local vs Cloud

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by daneoni, Aug 6, 2009.

1. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I currently have two sets of contacts, local & google. Ideally i'd like both to be linked...well they kinda are but there's one huge omission for me

This is why i'm currently debating whether to sync my contacts locally and and live with the major drawback or sync via the cloud (Google Sync/Push) exclusively.

If i do locally, my contact backups have no photos on them because Google can't seem to extract contact photos from address book and only takes the raw data. Conversely, address book does the same thing going the reverse route. If you couldn't tell photos are important to me...i like to put faces to names especially given the fact that i rarely save last names and have several people who share the same name (obviously) on my list so this is a HUGE drawback for me

The alternative is i bypass address book completely and rely solely on Google Sync. Any changes i make on my phone gets updated on google and it frees me from iTunes/Addressbook somewhat in that it makes things easier if i were devices as i can just download contacts from the cloud instead of importing vCards manually. The downside is i lose custom labels and have a restriction on the amount of numbers/emails i can transfer down to a device (thanks Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync limitations)

In an ideal world i'd like to be able to make changes anywhere (iPhone/AddressBook/GContacts) and have it sync everything like iCal but...no dice

I know paid programs like mobileme solve this issue but to be honest i don't want to buy anything.

I'm thinking of doing the cloud thing but the problem is programs like desktop Mail, iCal will end up suffering since Address book will be out of date most of the time

Suggestions?

2. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

I realize you're probably a big google fan or whatever, but, you get things working as you wish with MobileMe... just sayin...

Also there's a few third party synchronization apps on the app store, maybe one of those could give you something close to what you're after.

3. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

Was afraid you'd say that

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Another vote for mobile me, it syncs everything easily for me.

5. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Another vote form me, just buy it off of Amazon or eBay and save some money!