Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Madfi_42

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2016
Here.
Hi there,

I've been having this issue on my mac (late 2013 MBA running OSX 10.11.5) for about a month now. I have been chatting with Apple technicians and the next step is for me to do an OSX reinstall, and potentially even a complete formatting. Before I do this I wanted to know if anyone has had any similar experiences.

The issue:
- My wifi connection keeps dropping intermittently or is just painfully slow
- It only happens on my home network (everywhere else I go is fine)
- It only happens on my mac; none of the other devices at home have this issue.

I changed my modem and internet plan recently, thinking that it was a network problem. While I noticed that my internet did get faster on other computers at home, it did not do so on my mac.

What I have tried:
- disconnect every other device in the house from network
- restart modem
- NVRAM reset
- reset system management controller
- system diagnostic: no hardware problems
- created new user: issue persists

The issue DOES NOT persist when I boot in safe mode. This is the only time when I can surf the web without losing my connection (it is also faster).

I can fix this momentarily by running network diagnostics. This restores my connection for a few minutes before it goes back to showing that "ISP," "Internet," and "Server" have failed and are in red. The wifi icon on the menu bar is always full as if connected, and clicking on it indicates that the network is up and the computer is connected to it (but no internet).

I'm at a loss of what to do :(

Rok73

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2015
Planet Earth
Hi there,

I've been having this issue on my mac (late 2013 MBA running OSX 10.11.5) for about a month now. I have been chatting with Apple technicians and the next step is for me to do an OSX reinstall, and potentially even a complete formatting. Before I do this I wanted to know if anyone has had any similar experiences.

The issue:
- My wifi connection keeps dropping intermittently or is just painfully slow
- It only happens on my home network (everywhere else I go is fine)
- It only happens on my mac; none of the other devices at home have this issue.

I changed my modem and internet plan recently, thinking that it was a network problem. While I noticed that my internet did get faster on other computers at home, it did not do so on my mac.

What I have tried:
- disconnect every other device in the house from network
- restart modem
- NVRAM reset
- reset system management controller
- system diagnostic: no hardware problems
- created new user: issue persists

The issue DOES NOT persist when I boot in safe mode. This is the only time when I can surf the web without losing my connection (it is also faster).

I can fix this momentarily by running network diagnostics. This restores my connection for a few minutes before it goes back to showing that "ISP," "Internet," and "Server" have failed and are in red. The wifi icon on the menu bar is always full as if connected, and clicking on it indicates that the network is up and the computer is connected to it (but no internet).

I'm at a loss of what to do :(
Looking at your detailed description and what you've done to fix the issue plus your remark that the Wifi works in safe mode I'd expect the following: there must be an issue with your current OS X installation as it also doesn't seem to be user profile related (what a long sentence). That would be the only logical explanation for me.

A fresh installation might be your only chance to fix this once and for all. Backup your documents, music, movies etc. before.

Madfi_42

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2016
Here.
Looking at your detailed description and what you've done to fix the issue plus your remark that the Wifi works in safe mode I'd expect the following: there must be an issue with your current OS X installation as it also doesn't seem to be user profile related (what a long sentence). That would be the only logical explanation for me.

A fresh installation might be your only chance to fix this once and for all. Backup your documents, music, movies etc. before.

Thanks for taking the time to read! And yes, I figured I might have to do a clean install.... I'll make some time for that this weekend and cross my fingers

Reactions: Rok73
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.