Local Wordpress on a mac

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by fameadvance, Oct 29, 2009.

1. fameadvance macrumors newbie

Im a bit of a novice web developer and have a quick question for you guys.

I have a few websites each using wordpress.
    I've been told i can install wordpress locally instead of updating from the web.
    However im not sure how i do this and if it will work for multiple sites.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. jakeOSX macrumors regular

i think that you are asking two different questions, so i'll try to answer both.

first, yes, you can install wordpress on your computer. my suggestion is to get MAMP, which is a mac server package and install it. it will allow you to host websites on your machine (for a testing/writing purpose, not really for an online purpose).

mamp.info

now your question leads me to believe that you want to write something on your computer and update your online wordpress site, yes? this isn't accomplished by installing wordpress on your computer.

I use MacJournal, which i like to my wordpress site. i write my posts in MJ and then 'send them to blog' and they get posted online. works out well, i think. there are other programs out there that do similar things as well.

or you can just old-school it and use notepad (err, text edit)

that help at all?

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you have multiple sites with multiple databases you need to buy MAMP Pro.

4. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Not exactly. I use MAMP and run several sites locally with one installation. I use Apache Virtual Hosts and modify my hosts file. My preferred convention is to use clientname.localhost

5. fameadvance thread starter macrumors newbie

Local Wordpress on a mac

Thanks for your replies i will clariffy exactly what i mean so theres no confusion.

I'm a small time webdeveloper with 3 clients. Each client has a wordpress site which i mange and update all online by going to www.thesite.com/wp-login.php

I find that updating this way can sometimes be really slow, and have noticed sometimes the servers are playing up and wont even allow updates, or new posts. Also this option doesnt really give me a chance to preview fully before going online.

I was under the impression that with wordpress i could install a local copy on my laptop and it would make the process easier and quicker. Although im not sure how it works when you have more than 1 site.

Anyway thats what im trying to do, can you suggest the best way.

Thanks again

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

You'll want to follow jeremy.king's advice. Setup some virtual hosts for a local setup using MAMP. Then you can work on the Wordpress stuff locally. Then, once you have something you like, you can update the modified files and be on your way.

7. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

The OP mentioned "posts" and this has me concerned.

Take a moment to hear me out on this, let know if I'm off base here:

Posts involve the content layer, not the application layer, specifically database. The OP described more than updating scripts/graphics i.e. the application layer -> theme, plugins, core source, etc. The OP described content management in my mind.

This means the OP would have to synchronize the database or any other files (i.e. attachments?) stored in the file or database system of WP, every time. This means downloading prior to updating and uploading.

What I'm getting at is, MAMP is great for a localhost sandbox to develop the WP site, but no sandbox is intended to use live data. Just backups of live data for testing and development purposes.

Am I missing something here?

-jim

8. fameadvance thread starter macrumors newbie

Am i being thick here but waht does OP mean. Does it mean opening post?

When i typed post i meant news articles.

9. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Essentially, see the acronym guide.