localhost

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by alix, May 25, 2009.

1. alix macrumors member

Hi all !
    How can use localhost on mac like windows , that let me to edit without internet my sites and can work with php or ASP or JAVA languages !

Thanks

2. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Downlaod and install MAMP for a easy life, then start the server and point your browser to http://localhost:8888, the apachie server already installed is on localhost:8 0 or just localhost.

MAMP will make your life much easier for working with PHP and SQL based sites and you can access the mysql database from http://localhost:8888/phpMyAdmin

And finally localhost is not Windows only. It is assessable on Linux, Windows, Mac OS and any other OS running a webserver.

3. alix thread starter macrumors member

I cant like windows use software same ?
    I think this is too hard !

4. sbauer macrumors member

Sorry to be blunt. If that's too hard for you, maybe you should consider a different career. It's not always going to be easy.

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Windows has IIS, OS X has Apache. IIS is Windows only, Apache is generally Linux/OS X/Unix, though it can be installed on Windows too.

You won't be using ASP pages on Apache, at least not easily or as you're used to.

ASP is a Microsoft technology and runs on IIS. If you want to use it, you want to be using Windows.

PHP is widely used with Apache.

6. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

There is no mention of this being a career.

7. brisbaneguy29 macrumors 6502

brisbaneguy29

Install MAMP. It will be your best friend. It is drag and drop install, and basically has a zero conf set up. Just start it up, and copy the files your editing to the htdocs folder.
    There is nothing hard about it. I don't see how they could have made it easier. Now you can preview your edits locally, instead of uploading to the host server.

I can't believe how much time it saves.

8. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Hi,

For Java, download Netbeans 6.5.

It comes with both Glassfish and Tomcat, so you can then make your site, hit play and it will start the webserver automatically. Couldn't be simpler.

Netbeans is a free download at netbeans.org

Get either the Java or the all version.

As for php/mysql/apache, there are tons of tutorials out there. Needless to say it doesn't take too much effort to get virtual hosts, mod rewrite and all sorts of other things working.

If you need more help just ask and I will give you some pointers (or someone else will!)

9. sbauer macrumors member

Regardless, giving up on something because it's too hard is not a good way to live your life.