Locate after erase?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Arron924, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Arron924 macrumors newbie

Hi,

My sister has her iPhone stolen last night I am just wondering if the thief wipes the phone thinking it will bypass the lost mode but then connects to the wifi before being presented with activation lock will screen will I still be able to locate the phone via iCloud?

Kind Regards

Arron

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

If she has Find my iPhone turned on, they won't be able to erase it anyways as it will require them to turn Find my iPhone off. At least, that's as far as I understand.

3. Arron924 thread starter macrumors newbie

Not if the device is put into DFU mode and wiped

4. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

If that's the case, then no, I don't believe it can be located then. It will still be locked by Activation Lock, so they won't be able to use it, but I don't believe you'll be able to track it any longer.

5. Apple blogger macrumors 6502a

Mostly you should be if the do with dfu , not sure.. Never tried.. But the phone will be unusable as there is activation lock..

6. Photography, Aug 26, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2014

Photography macrumors 65816

Photography

Yes, you will still be able to track the iPhone on iCloud.com. Be sure to place your iPhone in lost mode so you can track it, and it will show you any changes in location on the map. Whatever you do, don't remove your iPhone from your iCloud account, or you won't be able to track it anymore!

Even if they do restore the device, it will still ask for the Apple ID and password that it's activation locked to.