Locate and Rip short sections from DVD

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Enga, Oct 20, 2007.

1. Enga macrumors newbie

I want to rip short sections from DVDs so I can include them as video clips in my Keynote Presentations. Up until now I have been using two alternatives. One is to decrypt the whole DVD and then select the 1 minute section I want. That takes a lot of time. The other way is to play the section I want from the DVD through an external DVD player and then run it by analog cable into my Sony HVR M10 Recorder to convert to digital and then log and capture in Final Cut Pro on my iMac G5 or Powerbook G4 so as to save it as a Quicktime movie clip.
    Is there software I can use to easily locate and rip short selections directly from the DVD drive in my Mac and save (as a Quicktime Movie?) for me to use in Keynote -- a faster and easier alternative to what I am doing now? Enga

2. DaveF macrumors 6502a

I can provide a tutorial to do this in Windows (works via BootCamp or Parallels). I haven't found the software to do this with Mac OS X yet.

3. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

HandBrake lets you specify what title and which chapters you wish to encode on the DVD. This would be faster compared to the whole DVD rip.

Another way I could think of is using iShowu to record a selected area of your computer screen while the DVD is playing, capturing whatever is shown. This is very similar to what you are doing now, only it takes shorter steps.

I cant recall of any other program that can rip just what you want.

4. Enga thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I can do it in Windows also, but usually it means saving in AVI which doesn't go well into keynote. I need to save in high quality Quicktime movie or .mov if possible to get best results in Keynote. Still trying...

5. Enga thread starter macrumors newbie

I might try the iShowu and see how it works. Where can I get it?