"Locate Me" feature is slightly different in 2.0 beta

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Red Sox, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Red Sox macrumors regular

I'm running 2.0 beta on my pwned iPhone, and I noticed that the "locate me" feature in Google Maps does some cool stuff. First when you hit the button, you get the usual large blue circle, but it wobbles in and out. Then, it continues to search for Wi-Fi signals, and if it finds one, it will zoom in further, and the circle gets smaller. I don't think it did this in 1.1.4.

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

3. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

Is this the "shaky-cam" version of locate me? :) Perhaps the drunk version... iWeave.

4. Justinerator macrumors 6502

Justinerator

hmmm, a sign of GPS in the near future?

Or maybe not... :(

5. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

where did you download 2.0 from, i have the pwnage tool but i wanna get 2.0 beta

6. TimJim macrumors 6502a

How did you get 2.0?

Trough Apple or somewhere else?

7. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

I wonder if I could get it to tell me to stop moving on my 500+ mile days...

8. change macrumors member

Locate Me Live

I think Google's and Apple's commitment to helping the directionally impaired has gone largely unnoticed. These humanitarians should have the recognition they deserve!

In all seriousness, the Maps app on the iPhone has become indispensable for my myriad travels. People with a horrible sense of direction must LOVE this. I'm looking forward to checking this out, but my iPhone hacking days are over. This and many things, SDK...

9. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

yeah, even before the locate me feature. i came to school (university of michigan), and for those that dont know its a really urban setting. i was here for welcome week and i would have been lost every night. all i would do is look for a street corner, find it on the map and make my way back. it really helped even after i tipped a few back and had trouble navigating. it basically saved me from being lost in a city

10. change macrumors member

Oh, that's what this is for! The accelerometer in the iPhone tracks your stumbling and compensates on the map!

Apple really does think of everything, even easy to use while intoxicated.

11. Red Sox thread starter macrumors regular

torrents.

2.0 is so buggy though, and it kills your battery. I'm goin back to 1.1.4

12. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

I am not, in any way, directionally challenged, yet I've come to depends on my google maps and the locate me feature. I drive 2800-3300 miles a week and this just makes my life a whole lot easier.

Excuse me while I look up my delivery in the morning...

13. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I would advise dropping $150 on a real GPS unit if you travel that much. It's not as good as Google Maps, but it really does locate you within a few feet and continually updates. I got a Jensen GPS for $100 in December, and I think many are within the $150 now.

14. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

The thing is, I'm a truck driver. A cheap GPS, even with truck routing, can get me in a lot of trouble real fast. I read about all the time on the trucking boards. People rely on them too much then find themselves on weight restricted roads or approaching a low bridge.

I'd rather just do my trip planning the old fashion way(paper truck maps) and use my iPhone as a progress indicator/address verifier and to get a look at what the customer's lot/yard looks like before I get there.

Example: I know that tomorrow my customer will be the second driveway on the right after I make my last turn. That wasn't included in the directions I got from the company.

15. corrado7 macrumors regular

corrado7

I did the same thing in Chicago

16. geekmommy4 macrumors 6502

geekmommy4

Do you ever find it giving you the wrong driveway by a few? I haven't found Google Maps to be quite that accurate some of the time. I do find Google Maps via the internet to be a bit more reliable. On my iPhone it doesn't even find a large number of addresses that I enter even though I input the exact same address on the internet version and it finds it just fine.

There is a street outside of my neighborhood that Google Maps on my iPhone tries to get me to take that doesn't even exist. It has a name and everything! That street isn't on the internet version of Google Maps. There might be plans to build it, but there are no plans to develop that intersection for several years.

17. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

I use the hybrid view to get an idea if were I'm going. Seeing trucks/trailers is a good indicator of what driveway to take :)

18. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Anyone who wants the 2.0 beta can PM me for linkage!