Locate my iPhone sucks

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by miamialley, Nov 30, 2009.

1. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

It never gets more accurate that a block radius...sometimes is completely off by a few blocks. What's the point if it's wrong often and displays such a wide radius? And I have waited a number of minutes to see if it becomes more accurate, but it never does. I live in downtown Miami and the phone's reception is not obstructed.

How does it work for everyone else?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yeah I've tried it and it can locate it to the room I put it in in my house.

When it's place outside the it will locate it in less than 5 seconds.

3. raison macrumors member

Lol. Mine isn't that accurate but it does find my accurate location in about 2 minutes. Also I use a little script I found on the net that constantly synchronizes MobileMe and google latitude. I don't know if that helps to get a better accuracy

4. synagence macrumors 6502a

If the iPhone isn't in line of sight to the sky then it can't get a true GPS accurate lock .... in that case it purely goes from the A-GPS which is basically the cell tower you're phone is in communication with.

5. Macsterguy macrumors 6502a

Macsterguy

Find my iPhone found my iPhone... It was in my right hand... The last time I saw it, it was in my left hand...

6. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

works well enough to find me in my house.

At work as it's a big thick concreate building, it is within the block (ie cell tower).

What did you expect however?

7. miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

Well, giving me a two block radius doesn't exactly help me 'find my iphone.'

8. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

My girlfriend has decided to use this feature to track where I go. Hence I am liking the big radius problem.

9. synagence macrumors 6502a

What do you expect? It gives you as good a location as it can at the time .... if that happens to be indoor then most likely it'll be vague at best...

When i'm at work it 'locates' me as being in a radius of about 2 miles .... hardly useful but i appreciate technical limitations of the fact that satellites are several miles straight up and if the iphone can't detect the signal it can only do so much

10. miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

Google maps locates me within a few meters, while 'locate my iPhone' (in the same spot) gets within a half mile.

11. flakes8 macrumors regular

flakes8

DO NOT MARRY THIS WOMAN !!!!!!! :D

12. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Oh my...