Locating a mysterious "backup"

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BlakeBrattina, Feb 18, 2014.

1. BlakeBrattina macrumors 6502a

Hi all,

I've been working on getting some of the build-up off of my SSD and am having trouble finding a large portion labeled as a "Backup". A bit strange since I tie all of my backups into my 2GB external. Would anyone have any great ideas as to where to find this, along with what all makes up "Other".

All help is appreciated!

[​IMG]

2. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

It's probably Time Machine local storage. There was a thread here the other day about how to switch it off. You'll have to search for it. If it's not TM, no idea.

3. BlakeBrattina thread starter macrumors 6502a

EDIT: Went into System Preferences and turned Time Machine "OFF", local backups have gone away. Nailed down the first one, thank you Tumbleweed.

Now onto the "Other" catagory.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Here is an article from Apple that explains how that Backups space works. Like you discovered, you can zero it out by turning TM off then back on.

5. BlakeBrattina thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just figured I would post this as well. Another tool I came across today that helped me identify easily the areas of largest 'consumption'.

Disk Inventory X

[​IMG]

Hope this helps someone else if they have the same problem! Thank you for your help -

6. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

That's not really the answer though unless you don't want to use TM at all, I'd presume you'd want TM on an external disk but not internal? In which case the link by weaselboy explains how to do that.