Locating center port number from Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by zRedbullz, Jan 11, 2009.

1. zRedbullz macrumors regular

zRedbullz

I'm trying to locate the center port number (router) from my Mac. Does anyone know how or where I can retrieve this info? I have all the basic network info (IP, DNS etc..) but just need the center port number.

Thanks a lot.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

What exactly is a "center port number"? I've never heard of this term before.

3. zRedbullz thread starter macrumors regular

zRedbullz

It's a special number (usually four digits) that allow incoming connections from outside the network to your router. By center port, I suppose they mean the main port number of your router.

Basically, I'm trying to find a port number and wondered whether I can access this info through my Mac on my home wireless network?

4. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

it sort of sounds like you are after the MAC address of your computer?
    (which is a unique address for every separate network port on your system.)

not sure that's exactly what you are after, but your MAC address can be found in apple/about/system profiler/network area.

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

You should be able to determine this from your router's web configuration interface, assuming it has one. First of all, determine your router's IP address (this can be found in Network pane of System Preferences). Open a web browser, and navigate to this address. The router should respond with a prompt for a username and password. Check your router's manual for the defaults, if you haven't configured this setting, as it's different from router to router. Once logged in, browse the various configuration pages.

6. zRedbullz thread starter macrumors regular

zRedbullz

Thanks.

I'll take a look in my router settings.