locating files in file system

Discussion in 'macOS' started by trackbikes, Jun 8, 2011.

1. trackbikes macrumors regular

I have had a developer create me an adobe air based application.

It runs perfectly on both Mac and windows as i would expect.

However while i can locate all the files on the windows machine I can only find the application on the mac.

Where would the database be stored on the mac?

I suspect I am missing something basic in my understanding of Mac osx file systems here as I can't even locate the config.xml file.

2. trackbikes thread starter macrumors regular

That was pretty much close to what i was doing, but no joy can't find anything related to the app.

Does OSX have hidden files or are there other search apps, this is really weird as it works perfectly so there must be a database somewhere and the update files.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Using that same method, you can click the + on the right and choose another search criteria: File visibility > Visible or invisible

However, I'm guessing you missed something in the initial process, as files/folders related to apps will usually show up using the method in that link. You may need to modify your search terms, if the components don't share the same name as the app. Also, as recommended in step 7, sort by things such as date, to find items created at the same time the app was installed, even if the name doesn't match. Because you had a developer create this app for you, it may not follow the usual naming conventions.

Also, look in the following folders:
    /Library/Application Support/
    /Users/username/Library/Application Support/​

4. trackbikes thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your advice...I've been trying to track thinks by individual file names and folder names as well

For example the app has a series of modules which are stored in folders, one is called IncomeTracker and on a windows pc i can see the folder called IncomeTracker But if i search for that folder on a mac nothing comes up. If i search for the files inside the folder they don't appear either.

I know it must be somewhere as the module is working.

The reason i need to find these is to create a process for the support staff incase anyone with a mac has an issue and we need to get them to delete the db or edit a config file.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Why not ask the developer what files are created and where they're stored? Also, I'd ask the developer to rename components so they all have a common string, such as the app name, as part of the file/folder name, to make all components easy to find in a single search.

6. trackbikes thread starter macrumors regular

Solved!!

Found the files, I right clicked on the icon in applications and found a link to Package contents and under contents were all the files i needed.

thanks for you help.. still not found the db but I have some suspects!!