Locating/showing files above a certain size

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macstatic, Aug 13, 2014.

1. macstatic macrumors 6502a

Is there an app (or a way to do it in OSX) to find files above a certain size within a folder/sub-folders?
    With many sub-folders it's a bit too time consuming to do a Finder "List view" for every single folder.

Specifically I'm trying to find out if a folder (with many sub-folders) contains any files bigger than 4GB to see if they will be transferrable to a FAT formatted hard drive or not.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can perform a simple Finder search of any folder, including subfolders, or even your entire drive. Just add the size criteria to your search, like this:
    Scap  2014-08-13 at 2.03.23 PM.PNG
    If you don't see "File Size" in the list of criteria, click "Other..." and locate it.

3. macstatic thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's cool, and it seemed to work (I assume it searches within all sub-folders inside the folder asked to search in).

To make it even more useful, would it be able to define such a search criteria without setting the folder name so I can perform the search on many different folder locations? The way it is now, after having saved it, is that it defaults to the folder in question or "This Mac".

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can set one of 3 choices for a default search location:
    Scap  2014-08-13 at 3.58.30 PM.PNG