Location-based Reminders in iOS 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by r2shyyou, Oct 8, 2011.

1. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

I've used these before and they worked great but since updating to iOS 5 GM, I can't seem to find the option to be reminded "at a location" (the only option that appears is to be reminded on a date).

What am I doing wrong? Is this a bug with the GM?

2. navindralr macrumors member

after you create a reminder, click on it. That takes you to a screen that says "details." Then click on "remind me." In that setting pane, switch on "at location," then input your settings.

3. lilpete macrumors member

can't seem to find it either, I'm running the GM on a 3GS. the apple website shows the location based reminder under the 'on a day' option, but it won't show up on mine. tried putting priority as 'high' etc and no deal. hoping this isn't a 4S exclusive...

4. r2shyyou thread starter macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

Right, that's what I used to be able to do but now the "at location" option does not appear, only "on a date".

5. profets macrumors 68040

I still see it after updating to the GM on my iPhone 4.

6. r2shyyou thread starter macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

I'm using a 3GS as well.

It must be exclusive to the iPhone 4 and 4S. When I successfully used this feature, it was on an iPhone 4. That would be a shame if you couldn't use it on a 3GS since iOS 5 is compatible with the 3GS. Obviously some features can only work with the 4 and 4S (Facetime, etc.) but GPS-based apps should work with all three.

7. Ke1ington macrumors 6502a

Ke1ington

I'm on a 4 and I don't even have the ability to add a new task. The plus button is just not there.

8. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

I don't get the location remind on my 3GS either. Bummer. I'm getting the 4S anyway buts its an odd thing to leave off the 3GS. Its not that bad a phone is it? :confused:

9. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

The GPS was SIGNIFICANTLY improved on the 4, not only much faster acquisition but much reduced power draw. I'd bet that is the reason they pulled the feature from the 3GS, probably did not give good results in the beta (performance and battery life).

10. adztaylor macrumors 68000

I see it on my iPhone 4. Be warned to anyone who uses it though, it is a MAJOR battery hog as it leaves the GPS on so it knows when you arrive at that location.

11. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Ahh ok. Well its good that Apple doesn't bring down their phone with the OS features when they no it can't handle it.

12. deeddawg macrumors 604

Couple thoughts on Reminders for those having difficulty:

(1) If the only thing Reminders syncs to is Exchange, I don't think you can set location based triggers. I only have that option if I have reminders syncing to icloud

(2) as with #1, if I turn off icloud reminders sync, and it's only showing as syncing to Gmail (exchange interface), I can't create a new reminder. When I turn on sync to icloud I can again create a new reminder.

Maybe this might help.

13. TBONE72 macrumors regular

Yes, this is the reason right here. I have experienced the same. If you have an Exchange account and want location based reminders, don't enable the option to sync reminders with the exchange account.