Location Changed - Alias, Duplicate

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Melodeath, May 5, 2010.

1. Melodeath macrumors 6502a

I'm new to OSX (bought a new MBP a couple weeks ago)

I hooked up an external HD to my MBP and searched for a file. It found the folder and I double clicked the folder. When I double clicked, I got some message I've never seen before pop up, saying the location of the folder had changed, and the pop up mentioned an Alias or Duplicating. I simply clicked cancel because I had no clue what was going on, and it did not take me to the folder. So I searched again, and everything worked fine when I double clicked the folder this time.

Does anyone have any clue what happened? The folder did not move, it's on my external HD. What does this pop up mean? Alias or Duplicate or Cancel?

Thanks a lot

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Not sure what happened in your case. What it sounds like is clicking on an alias after the original has been deleted. From your limited description, I don't think that was it. It's always helpful to write down a message before you click cancel. Then you can report the exact wording, which might give someone a valuable clue.

Great post - seriously. You gave a good descriptive title, and told us you're a new Mac user in the post. Too many just do the latter in the title. :rolleyes:

3. Melodeath thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ahh, I would have written it down, but I was actually in a rush because I was helping a friend and he had to leave.

Thanks for the reply!