Location Feature in 2.1

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MotionxxUSxx, Sep 12, 2008.

1. MotionxxUSxx macrumors 6502

Does this still work the same way as in previous versions of the firmware. I was hoping that if a app turned location services on, after closing the app it would turn location services off? Can someone confirm

Thanks

2. spyz88 macrumors regular

If you have location services off, a new box will come up asking you if you want to go to the settings instead of just OK or cancel.

3. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

This is totally annoying. Now you have to go to settings and turn on locations then go back to the app you were using.

4. MotionxxUSxx thread starter macrumors 6502

When you leave the app does it turn it off?

5. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

yeah, sounds like a step backwards to me.

6. jamestemroot macrumors member

Completely a step backwards...it now takes 5 clicks to turn it on from maps and back into maps to use it, instead of 'ALLOW' :mad:

7. MotionxxUSxx thread starter macrumors 6502

The only thing I can think of, is that they fixed something with the gps and battery and that if you leave it on, it will not affect battery life when it is not actually being used by a app.

8. jamestemroot macrumors member

I hope so, will try to test this out over the next few days...but if this was the case, why even have an ON / OFF switch for location services?

9. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Very true. It would be nice to get some sort of clarification from Apple on this.

10. redman042 macrumors 68020

I just tried maps and it didn't ask me for location permission again. Not sure why others are having this problem.

Is it me or is Google Maps performing much better now? Seems to load maps from the cache much faster for one thing.