Location finder on the touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by woodyman, Mar 7, 2008.

1. woodyman macrumors newbie

Can someone please tell me why the location finder on the ipod touch doesn't work?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

It should work, but in less places than the iPhone, because it cannot use the cell towers, only WiFi locationing.

3. davidy macrumors 6502

davidy

You have to have a good wifi connection for it to work.

4. aethelbert macrumors 601

Because the company providing that service can't index every network on earth right when it first starts. If you're using a newer wifi network, it might not be in their database yet. Either that or they haven't added the networks in your area into their system.

5. Resist macrumors 68030

Home WiFi networks don't work with this Touch feature.

6. maclovin' macrumors regular

maclovin'

They must work because I live in a small town in a residential area and the only WiFi that my touch can see is my own and it can locate me just fine.

7. Resist macrumors 68030

8. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

Here is where they show the coverage of the wi-fi capability when it comes to location featuring. It shoudl work if you are within the coverage area.

It also doesn't have every wi-fi hotspot/router up, so don't be surprised if it doesn't work 100% of the time.

9. Resist macrumors 68030

Well no wonder it doesn't work for me, my city is not even covered. That sucks!

10. davidy macrumors 6502

davidy

Mine does!

11. richc71 macrumors newbie

I am finding that this only works for open networks ... or my home password protected network. I can find plenty of secure networks, but I can't get a location position off of these. Also, I can't get it to spit out directions for me. It gives me a route not found message.

12. br1anc macrumors regular

yeah, ive had the same problem. me and my friend were in this coffee shop the other day and he had his iPhone and i had my Touch out and he went on maps and found his location but when i tried, it said "Your location could not be determined." my location finder has yet to work.