Location for Headphones Threads

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Scepticalscribe, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

As I am currently looking out for and researching the purchase of headphones & earpods, (for iPods, iTouch, etc), I have been browsing the forums on this subject for information and observations.

I have noticed that while there are a considerable number of threads on the topic, they are not confined to one sub-area, but are found all over the place, and not just under "iTouch accessories", for example.

What would you think of grouping all head-phone threads into their own obvious sub-group, or has such an idea any merit?

Cheers

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

There wouldn't be a good reason to distinguish one type of peripheral or accessory from the others (cases, chargers, shields, cables, etc.) but you are correct that one of the choices is for accessories to be grouped together in one big Accessories forum. After all, accessory vendors often have models to fit multiple devices.

However, most people who are looking for an accessory have a particular device in mind, so we've chosen to keep them organized by Apple product:
    And for headphones used with a Mac:
    If you see a thread in the wrong forum, such as a headphone discussion in the main iPhone forum, you can report it to the moderators and they'll move it to the appropriate forum. You'll be helping everyone by making the thread easier for others to find.

3. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

I would much appreciate this too, as you would be able to have opinions from people who lurk in accesory forums apart from the one you posted in. However, it's not that big of a deal to me.

4. Scepticalscribe thread starter Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my observations and suggestion. Might I suggest that you group iPod and iTouch accessories together, as I have found virtually identical head-phone threads in both the iPod and iTouch sections (and the TV, iPhone, and Mac Peripherals sections.)

Cheers

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

You can certainly make the suggestion. Some of our past forum reorganizations were due to suggestions from forum users. Our moderators also regularly contribute to our back-room discussions about the choices we have for keeping the forums organized effectively.

In this case I don't know whether what you observe for headphones is true in general, particular to headphones, or just a fluke based on who posted what this week. We don't have an easy way to gather statistics about it so we're always dealing with anecdotes and particular thread topics.

There will always be examples of duplicate threads because a product works with mulltiple gadgets, but also examples where a product is specific to a device. We'll have a tradeoff either way. It's the same with iOS apps that appear in the "iPhone and iPod touch Apps" forum and the "iPad Apps" forum: Sometimes they have different versions and ought to be differentiated, while othertimes they wouldn't need to be duplicated if we combined them all into one bigger forum. But then people shopping specifically for iPad apps couldn't do so.

There's another advantage to merging forums, which is that it reduces the total number of forums, which is already rather large. However, given that we can't be perfect, I don't yet see an overwhelming benefit from changing from the forum organization that people are used to.

6. Scepticalscribe thread starter Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Thanks again, for getting back to me on this.

No, simply because I'm interested in this, I've been looking at threads on the topic for a number of weeks. Given the general forum policy of discouraging people from asking the same question, on several different threads, I didn't want to add to that.

However, I noticed that this is exactly what was happening because the head-phone threads were all over the place. Essentially, the same question was being asked, but because of where the question was asked, different snap-shots of people were answering, rather than groups who were focussing simply on headphones. This is because, as you have already pointed out, they themselves were visiting that section because they were interested in other things, such as peripherals, or TV, or iTouch, whatever, rather than headphones.

If and when a re-grouping, or re-designation of titles of groups and sub-groups does take place, please consider putting headphones into a joint iTouch and iPod category.

Cheers

7. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

Or just give head-fi a visit. That works too.

8. Scepticalscribe thread starter Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I rest my case....

This evening, (GMT), there is a head-phone thread in the MBA section of the forum.....will add my tuppence worth shortly....

Cheers