Location icon activated when using camera app

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by sunking101, Mar 13, 2014.

1. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

How do I switch this off?
    In the privacy section, under location services, I have the camera toggle off and yet the GPS location icon comes up every time I open the camera app and remains for a few seconds after I close the app.
    For privacy, and mainly battery saving reasons, how do I switch this feature off? Is it even possible?

2. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

that's weird maybe it is another app using the location services. did you reset the phone?

i have noticed since 7.1 that some apps keep using my location services even after i kill the apps

3. sunking101 thread starter macrumors 603

sunking101

It is definitely the camera app. I have the camera toggle off in location services (only my satnav and Google maps have the toggle on) and yet the damned icon comes on. If I switch location services off completely then it doesn't come on, but that is no fix.

----------

What do you mean?

4. Jacksonc macrumors 6502

Jacksonc

have you tried turning camera on and back off, or closing the camera app from the multitask menu?

5. sunking101 thread starter macrumors 603

sunking101

Yes but without success. I take it that this shouldn't be happening?

6. sunking101 thread starter macrumors 603

sunking101

After spending some time with this, I can see how to make this bug appear. If I switch my location services off for the camera and then off for everything (master toggle), no location service icon displays when I open and then close the camera app.
    If I then switch the master toggle for location services back on, and open & close the camera app, the location icon is not displayed. Result.
    HOWEVER, if I open another app which uses location services, such as maps, and then close it again, wait for the location icon to disappear and then open and close the camera app again, the location services GPS icon is displayed once more.
    This is quite obviously a bug and a fresh installation has not cured it.

7. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

If you are launching the camera app from Control Center than the weather feature in Control Center is the one requesting your location not the camera app.

IF you are launching the camera app from the spring board and location comes on....well, that I don't know :)

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Which phone do you have? I can't replicate this on my 4S.

9. sunking101 thread starter macrumors 603

sunking101

I'm opening the camera app via the icon on the homescreen but thanks anyway.

----------

iPhone 5

10. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

The weather feature in CC? What is this?

11. mreddys10 macrumors regular

It could be one of the system services pinging your location. Turn them off and see what happens. They will be at the bottom of the list in the location services.

12. sunking101 thread starter macrumors 603

sunking101

It is the compass calibration, that and time zone setting are the two system services that I have switched on. I have always had these two toggled to on, so why has this problem started now?

13. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

wow I must have been out of it when I wrote that. I was thinking NC instead of CC.

14. mreddys10 macrumors regular

Could be a bug. Or Apple has changed the way they ping for your location in 7.1 (assuming you have updated to 7.1). Beyond that, it's hard to say why it's happening.