location never works on itouch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by influenze, Mar 28, 2009.

1. influenze macrumors newbie

when i run google maps or any app that uses the location feature to bring up info for my area, it can never locate my area or city at that. i am in a wifi area so it has internet connectivity. do the 2g itouches not function with the location?

2. Benguitar Guest

Benguitar

I don't believe the iPod touch 1st or 2nd gen have the built in GPS. Although if you are connected to a Wi-Fi network it "should" work.

If it bothers you a lot, call Apple Care. :)

3. aethelbert macrumors 601

The location services are provided by a third party. Depending on where you live, it may not be mapped yet. Also, if the information of your network has changed since they mapped it, then it won't work. You can submit your current information to SkyHook.

It has nothing to do with your hardware and your warranty will not cover it.

4. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Yes, on the Touch location is a hack that rarely works. I appreciate Apple trying, but with no true GPS or cell chip to triangulate with the odd of all the Wifi Nodes needed being registered is slim to none. Only those in a dense city that Skyhook has done the mapping for "might" work some of the time. The second someone moves or replaces their router it's all screwed up.

Now you know why a GPS chip in the Touch is often requested. Apple knows how to do it (iPhone). IMO it's THE hardware they should include as part of the next Touch. 3.0 software allows access to maps and location within 3rd party apps. The 1st gen touch is left behind by having no bluetooth chip to activate. The 2nd gen will be similarly left behind when the 3rd gen shows up.

5. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

Almost always works for me as long as one of the networks is 'open' and I can connect to the internet. The trick is finding an open network. Without one location services are not available, but neither is much else (like map data), so it wouldn't be that useful anyway. But if there is an internet connection, my Touch can determine its location the vast majority of the time. Works a lot better than I would have expected it to.

6. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

Totally agree with that statement. Doesn't work at home or at work, works just about everywhere else because the network is open, and the accuracy boggles my mind. Right down to the corner of a building I am in. Makes me feel like I'm on 24 telling Jack Bauer where the bad guys are in the building he is about to storm.

Mike

7. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Of course it can work. Helps to be in Seattle or any other major city. It doesn't work in most towns in Kansas though.

8. saberahul macrumors 68040

I have traveled cross country with my ipod and i have never ran into this problem. The way i see it, if google maps can find your location your ipod touch can because it uses google service to do so... i'm not much help here but maybe try doing a restore?

9. aethelbert macrumors 601

Google is not involved in finding the location; SkyHook is.

10. influenze thread starter macrumors newbie

i looked at skyhooks site and was wondering if registering my info would even help my situation out. have any of you tried that with any luck?

11. ProstheticHead macrumors 6502

Location always seems to work for me so long as I am located on a network that has existed for a decent period of time. Skyhook basically just drove vans around and collected info from wifi networks they could detect. So, since I moved about 3 blocks from where I lived last year when their vans cruised by, location still works okay for me. It works for my parent's place as well since they've had a network in the same location for a while.

If you or the wireless network you're on has moved recently, then it won't give you an accurate location.

12. aethelbert macrumors 601

I submitted a revision request last year and it was on the system in less than a week.

13. ingenious macrumors 68000

ingenious

I wouldn't call it a hack. Almost everywhere I have wi-fi is mapped, and I live in rural Southeast Kansas. Of course, I've submitted several of the access points myself, but Skyhook is good about quickly making that information available. Now I'm using Google Maps, Brightkite, etc. with ease.

They've started mapping SEK, near Pittsburg and Oswego.

14. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

Yes. I didn't really like giving out the info, but after I did my 'location circle' tightened up around my house.

15. jman800 macrumors regular

Yeah well well every time I put it to "Find Location" It says I live in Pennsylvania, it even zeroed in on this house. The EXACT House where it says I apparently am. ........I live in Texas. It says i live in Pennsylvania in Every Location app. Strange.. huh?

16. DoomWolf macrumors newbie

It works fine for me in the UK. In fact, looking at Skyhook's website it appears that the UK has the largest proportion of area surveyed and covered by the service. They must update it periodically as it works whether I use my new Netgear router for wireless (bought in October 2008) or my old Linksys router. Both of them must have been logged into Skyhooks database.

It also doesn't matter if the network is open or not. Mine is WPA protected and it still works. All Skyhook appear to do is collect the MAC addresses of the wireless access points and tag them with the GPS location. MAC addresses can still be determined if the network is protected. You can check yourself using the WifiTrak App on the Touch. It shows the MAC address, channel, strength and authentication type for each network detected, protected or not.

17. DarkRyan323i macrumors member

Don't worry too much about it. Just set a default (home) location instead. I live in Columbus, OH and it told me I was in Kentucky somewhere!

18. Gyrferret macrumors regular

Gyrferret

Ha. SkyHook. Just like the thing in The Dark Knight. Some weird CIA thing.
    Anyway, it's a funny story about the "mapping", because I have my friends old wireless router, so whenever I tell it to "find my location", it FLIES over to his house and places a nice fat circle around it. Dunno how to fix that though. Oh well. Wait... does doing it through the skyhook website possibly "fix" it? Just a curious question.

But, hell, I don't really NEED GPS. Why? Because I know where the F**K I am. And if you don't, find the nearest intersection and type one of the streets into google maps. BAM! There you are! And then route..... wow.... seriously. It seems a more gimicky feature than anything.... but that's just me talking....