Location of Inspell's custom dictionary?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by onefish2, Feb 6, 2011.

1. onefish2 macrumors member

onefish2

I am waiting to update to 4.2.1 on my iPhone 4 because I want to backup the custom dictionary of my added words and corrections to Inspell.

Anyone know where its located?

2. onefish2 thread starter macrumors member

onefish2

Sent an email to the developer. The location is:

/var/mobile/Library/Keyboard

3. jobefo macrumors newbie

Wrong!

I don't know what the correct answer is but as soon as I find it I will post it. The file listed above is absolutely wrong though. Don't waste your time as I did... :mad:

4. jobefo macrumors newbie

Actually...

Now that I look at the post's date, I must say that maybe years and OSs ago maybe that was the correct location... who can say?! :confused:

5. onefish2 thread starter macrumors member

onefish2

That is the correct location. The file you are looking for is user_autocorrections.plist. I read the file and it does indeed show my autocorrected words.

6. jobefo macrumors newbie

Confused!!

I'm not sure what the heck is going on here but somehow I think you may be right! Ha!

I am running OS4.3.2 on an 3G(s) and installed this soon as it was cleared for this new OS. I have been using inspell for years and I had once found the files maybe a year ago but can't seem to now...

When I looked in the location you specified all that was there was ONE file "dynamic-text.dat" which when opened read "DynamicDictionary-4textmobiletextfreak"and replacing it in my other phone did nothing.

Then I tried searching for it by copying files to my mac over the SFTP connection I was doing all of this through and searching those files on my Mac... (Transmit, which I use for FTP, doesn't have any search feature I could find.)

I copied "keyboard" folder and later when I opened this on my Mac, there were 6 files in there including the one I was looking for. I went back and repeated this process and then that same folder had only the one file again. (but I had already saved the user_autocorrections.plist)

Hell if I know what is happening but on top of this I have problems getting connected -- about half the time I can get in repeatedly and then for multiple tries I'll have no luck at all. I'm baffled. I cannot currently get into my new phone at all and so I haven't been able to replace this file yet BUT at least I have it now! Thanks for your help. I still have no idea what's going on though...

7. jobefo, May 8, 2011
    Last edited: May 8, 2011

jobefo macrumors newbie

more....

I have SFTP'd in using both Transmit and Cyberduck, Inside the Keyboard folder I can only see that one dat file that I can't really read except with textedit and it only reads "DynamicDictionary-4textmobiletextfreak"

I still have no idea how ONE TIME ONLY, when I copied the keyboard folder to my desktop, inside it had the 6 files that it should. (I have SFTPed it over many times and it's been empty) The plist files can be read with textedit but they are a mess, OR I can read them with Quick Look and they are all neat and make sense. In either case I can see the corrections I have entered over the years are there.

Putting these files inside the Keyboard folder on the new phone has no effect.

I cannot see these files from SFTP window "their stuff" on either phone.

I'm at a standstill.

8. jobefo macrumors newbie

Solution!!

I finally found my error! I was using the path:

var/root/Library/Keyboard/

instead of:

var/Mobile/Library/Keyboard/

I didn't know how I got on that path or how I overlooked the difference at first but then I realized that I was having this discussion both on this forum and on the xsellize forum as well--THERE is where I read, "Everything needed is /var/root/Library/Keyboard"
    (that thread can be found here:
    http://xsellize.com/topic/91320-backup-custom-wordsuser-dictionary/)

I had misread and assumed you were giving the same path yada yada... well there you have it. Thanks for responding since it drove me to find the error! (or go nuts!)