Location of Macbook Keyboard Light Sensor

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by BigOrangeSU, Dec 22, 2008.

1. BigOrangeSU macrumors regular

Hi-
    I was wondering, where the keyboard light sensor was. It is strange because although my light sensor seems to be working properly, the angle of the screen can cause the sensor to be activated sometimes in indirect lightening situations. I just was wondering where the sensor was.

Thanks!

2. spicedcandy macrumors newbie

3. BigOrangeSU thread starter macrumors regular

I thought that was just for the ambient light sensor for the screen. Are you sure it is also for the keyboard?

4. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

I thought it was the little circular holes in the shape of a circle above the top left of the keyboard.

5. BigOrangeSU thread starter macrumors regular

I think thats the microphone? I have tried blocking that to get the keyboard to brighten and it doesn't.

6. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

I thought the microphone was right next to the iSight camera?

7. Knolly macrumors 6502a

The light sensor is next to the iSight camera. The holes on the top left of the keyboard is the microphone.

Simple test:
    Go into a lighted room and put your hand over the iSight's area. The keyboard lights up.

Recording a video and talking while covering up the mic would provide not-so-good audio, haha.

8. robzr macrumors member

There is a little photocell immediately to the left of the iSight camera, you can see it... it's responsible for both screen brightness and keyboard backlight.

Rob

9. jasonh1234 macrumors member

jasonh1234

So how come my thumb over the camera on my MBP doesn't cause the keyboard to light up?

10. Knolly macrumors 6502a

We're talking about Macbooks, not MBPs. I know at least on my old MBP the light sensor was in the speaker grills, although it could be different depending on the generation.

11. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...next to the camera as other's have said, what are you trying to get it to do/not do?