Location of System Settings?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by j.drake.hoffman, Apr 27, 2010.

1. j.drake.hoffman macrumors newbie

hello, I will be migrating to a small SSD soon, (with current HDD in optical bay) and in the interest of having to restore as little as possible, I was wondering if anyone knows where the system setting for snow leopard are located?

its just that with >40GB to work with, i'd like to put as little on the boot drive while maintaining system appearance (like menu-bar, dock settings, etc.). My thought through all of this was that i could do a clean instal on the drive and then restore the appropriate folder(s) only to achieve this goal.

i know i could just proceed as planned and restore the "System" and "Library" folders--which seem the most likely at this point--but if anyone actually knows, and would be so kind enough as to share this information that would be awesome.

2. hakuryuu macrumors 6502

A clean Snow Leopard install shouldn't take more than.. 6-7GB. Maybe less if you make sure to customize the installation to only include the bare minimum.

3. j.drake.hoffman thread starter macrumors newbie

that was my thoguht, but i was hoping to be able to be lazy and not have to manually reconfigure everything....

thanks though!

4. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

Most of the settings will be saved in .plist files in the Library folders located at ~/Library/Preferences and /Library/Preferences.

5. mrchinchilla macrumors 6502

mrchinchilla

I did this recently and I basically just copied over the Preferences, PreferencePanes and Application Support folders from both /Library/ and ~/Library/.

6. j.drake.hoffman thread starter macrumors newbie

awesome! thanks. thats more or less what i figured. i think i'll just do a clean install, restore apps and select folders. thanks for everyone's input