Location Profiles to save battery

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Moccasin, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Moccasin macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm getting rather irritated with how my iPhone battery life decreases so quickly while out of the house. Its 9am and I'm down at 50%. Turning off 3G, wifi, location services has reduced the rate of drain but am still going to have to be very careful from now on. This is made worse by the fact that I'm travelling around the UK for work, often by train (without charging sockets) and often to areas where 3G signal is poor.

What would be good is a location-based profile so that iPhone turns off wifi automatically when leaving the house and the ability to turn off other draining features like 3G and location services quickly and easily within defined profiles or rules. If that was done by setting your home location and then setting the phone to autonatically turn on/off settings then that would be rather powerful. While turning location services off to conserve battery would make it harder for the phone to know where it is, presumably it could still work by the phone knowing key "home" cell masts. Once the phone was within range of these it would automatically re-activate wifi and any other desired features.

Profiles still seem to be a key missing feature of iOS - linking to the calendar for meetings etc or work to turn down volume would be helpful.

If this is too difficult, then how about a new gesture on the iPhone that automatically brings up key power management details.

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

I don't even hit 50% by evening when I get home after work all day, 10 hours or so... Something is wrong with your phone/software config. That's with 3G/wifi left activated and forgotten in settings.

Location services on all the time, like for reminders, will drain it fast, stop using that feature so much?

Cell towers have a potential useable range of 120km by some quick Googling. that's a pretty freaking good distance out from your home to reactivate/deactivate services.

3. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I just use a battery case. It's not elegant, but as a short-term solution it doubles my battery time. I too would like to see profiles in iOS. Frankly I fail to understand why Apple hasn't done this yet. The memory and processing required is fairly small.