Location Reminder Issue...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bossyman, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Bossyman macrumors member

Hi all,

I've so far set 5 location reminders:

2 for when I arrive home

1 for when I leave home

1 for when I arrive to work

1 for when I leave work

Only 2 of them worked, though they all set properly (addresses are correct, the location arrow shows in the upper left of the phone next to the battery).

Is this happening to anyone else? All were set through Siri. Siri confirmed all of them properly.

2. fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

Hey Bossy,

I think you're holding it wrong. haah joking...but seriously, I don't think you can make a location reminder to go off "when you leave home" if you aren't already at home.

So if you're at home and you tell Siri to remind you when you leave work today, I don't think it will work that way. Of course I don't know for sure, but maybe someone else can help.

Pretty neat feature though when it works eh!

3. j4bles macrumors member

It works for me. Though I only do one reminder at a time. I did one yesterday when I left work to say, "remind me to take out the trash when I get home". As soon as I hit the foot of my driveway, my reminder went off. Still didn't take the trash out though.

Then this morning when I got up, "remind me to take out the trash when I leave home". Sure enough, got a little ways from my driveway and it went off. Of course I didn't turn around to take my trash out, it was raining :D

I'll try multiple reminders and see how it goes today. I have done a ton of time reminders, all worked great.

What I find annoying though, is when I do "Take a note for me." Siri SHOULD say "what would you like the note to say?". Instead, it creates a note and it's content is the word "me". Quite annoying. Anyway, that's a little off topic.

4. Maverickster macrumors regular

Actually, you should be able to. My wife and I share an iTunes/iCloud account. Yesterday, she set a reminder (while at home) to alarm when "leaving: work" (which is nowhere near home). Because we share the account, this reminder was sync'd to my phone. When I left work, it alarmed on my phone.

5. 700-Grizz macrumors 6502

How exactly does the location reminders work? DO you first have to set up your home address or anything or just tell it to remind you of whatever and Siri does the rest?

6. Bossyman thread starter macrumors member

How are people getting it to "speak the reminders?" mine only beeps.

7. Bossyman thread starter macrumors member

How are people getting it to "speak the reminders?" mine only beeps.

8. fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

I'd like to know this too...mine only beeps as well.

9. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

Did you really make 2 exact threads about this?

As I said in your other thread, Siri is still only in beta. You're probably just experiencing why it's still in beta.

10. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Are you British? Siri is American, she can't understand Brit-speak :p

11. fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

Why does my location reminders only remind me when I unlock my lock screen...if the phone is in standby mode it never goes off...why is that? Does one need push turned on for location reminders to activate when in standby mode (screen locked)??

12. fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

Is this happening to anyone else? Or does anyone have an answer to my question?

13. CmdrThor macrumors member

In Settings -> General -> Siri -> My Info, you set your contact record. You can set whatever addresses, emails, phone numbers etc in there and Siri will use them if you say "remind me X when I leave work" or "email myself X". Alternatively I think you can tell Siri "my work address is 123 main st, city, state" and it should save that in your contact record I think.

I did something similar by telling Siri "My wife is <wife's name>" and Siri updated my contact record with that relationship field. I could have done the same by editing my contact record myself.

14. Bossyman thread starter macrumors member

Okay, answering my own question - thanks to Apple - and hopefully it helps others...

Recap: My location reminders went off 20% of the time (home and work)...I always set it up through Siri, and Siri confirmed it was done correctly...

I went into the Apple Store yesterday (NJ), explained my problem to the Genius Bar dude...He agreed that it was an issue (probably faulty GPS chip)...swapped it out immediately for brand spankin' new phone...though he would not give me the box...

Time for a test: I set it twice this morning...once leaving home, once arriving at work...SUCCESS!!!!

Thanks to all who were helpful throughout the thread...

Oh, and I bought my phone through Verizon, yet Apple swapped it out for me...

:)

15. j4bles macrumors member

Good deal, I tested it some more yesterday and it worked just fine for me. Set multiple reminders and all worked great.

16. fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

Hey Bossy,

Is your saying what the reminder is or just beeping??