Location Service not working on iOS 4

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by xadianx, Jun 21, 2010.

1. xadianx macrumors newbie

xadianx

I installed iOS 4 today on my 3rd gen iPod touch and the location service is not working for any apps that require it.I rebooted the iPod made sure the service was set to on but I'm not having any luck.One app suggested to submit my routers Mac address to skyhook but that can take weeks to "maybe" be approved.

Is anyone else experiencing a problem with location service after updating?

2. fmavolio macrumors newbie

Same

Since you asked, I'll just affirm I also lost location services. Worked fine until upgrade.

3. alraune84 macrumors newbie

Ive got the same issue.. It wont pull my location at all.. I love th iOS4 setup and the ability to group things into sub catgories are great.. but i dont know if i can handle not having location services.

4. afnetman macrumors newbie

Location service not working in iOS4

I agree, I upgraded (if you call it that) on my iPod touch and lost the location service. I also just received my new iPad and the location service does not work on that either.
    Apple is going to have to learn that when they make major changes to their operating system that they need to ensure ALL aspects of the OS work on all the devices they are intended for. OK if the location services are making major changes then there should be two versions of the OS, one for the new devices that will be able to access it and one for the older systems that can not access but still have the apps that require them. :mad::mad::(:(

5. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

6. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

I too lost location services after ios4 on the 3GS. It sometimes worked on maps, but find my iphone would always show me in Charlotte NC instead of Charleston, SC. I turned off Location Services, Airplane mode, rebooted, etc. Still not working.

Today I got the iPhone 4 and restored from a backup so I would not loose my SMS and settings. Now my brand new iPhone shows me in Charlotte NC. I have tried everything except to wipe but I don't want to do that. Something somewhere has to have my location stuck.

7. PodcastMike macrumors newbie

I am having the same problem on my iPod Touch 2G. My home router IS in Skyhook and Google maps location is working on my wife's laptop.

At first I thought it was an API change (not unrealistic), but I then I loaded up the Map app and it couldn't get my location there either. I use MyTown and Foursquare quite a bit. The question is, do we put pressure on the developers or on Apple? Who screwed up?

8. johnnyham macrumors regular

My 2G iPod touch must be more possessed than Marilyn Manson... location services ONLY started working for me after upgrading to iOS4. On 3.1.3, it would work on occasion but rarely. It worked a few times in downtown Chattanooga, TN and at McDonalds in Orlando, FL (although Maps sent me to the wrong Pizza Hut), but I hadn't managed to get it to work in Augusta, GA. The one time it actually picked up a location, it said I was in Richmond, VA.

After upgrading, I opened Maps, hit the location button, and it worked like a charm. Nailed it too, almost dead center on my house. It seems odd to me that a lot of people are having issues with it. Guess I got lucky.

These might seem like obvious troubleshooting questions, but you'd be surprised what people overlook (is the computer plugged in? no...). Is location services enabled in Settings? Have you jailbroken it? Tried restoring the firmware? Tried it on another WiFi network? Hopefully it's just something little that people are overlooking that was set by default in iOS 3 but disabled in 4. Good luck with fixing it though.

9. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Thats weird.

10. rainsguitar macrumors newbie

Location services worked fine for me on 3.1.3 but not with OS4 downgraded back to 3.1.2 (couldnt get 3.1.3 to load)

11. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

So does 3.1.2 work?

12. duffydj macrumors newbie

I got exactly the same problem. The location services do not work! When I got to settings/general it says it is on, but the button is disabled and could turn it off or do anything. Was working fine until I upgrade to os4.
    How can I solve this? any help please? if not how can I return to a previous OS installation?
    Thanks in advance.

13. duffydj macrumors newbie

Well I found the solution and it was quite simple! If you have the same problem go to settings/general/reset and reset the location warnings

and then go back to settings/general/restrictions and make sure the Location button is ON. Don't know why but it must have been turned off after the upgrade. It worked for me :)

14. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

15. markojug macrumors regular

Shouldn't everything in restrictions be ON by default?

16. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Probably but it is what it is.