Location service system service bug?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by decafjava, Nov 7, 2014.

1. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

I think there seems to be an issue with the ios 8 system service location options. I am constantly getting the location arrow in my status bar and a process of elimination has narrowed it done to two services: "motion calibration" (!), "compass calibration" and especially "setting time zone" The last is particularly annoying as while it is handy for travelling there is no reason for it to come on so often during the day. Is this a bug and if so how to make Apple aware of it?

2. NoBoMac, Nov 7, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2014

NoBoMac macrumors 6502a

Using location-based events and or reminders? That'll probably do it.

Also, is General > Handoff & Suggested Apps > My Apps or App Store toggled on? Again, will probably be using GPS frequently.

And: what about apps that are allowed to update in background and have location services allowed?

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

They are used for something here and there, but they aren't generally needed by most, so the simplest thing is to just disable them all (perhaps short of one or a few that you really actually need for apps that you are using perhaps) and that's it.

4. Schtibbie macrumors 6502

There's an existing thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1788355

I think it's a bug. Mine is doing it and it never turns off. Ever. And it's always Motion Calibration that's purple in the settings, meaning it's running that calibration (and it never seems to finish). Rebooting does not help. And no, I don't think disabling a calibration feature is a good solution. It should do it's job and then stop.

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

While I agree that all these things should do their job when needed, I guess does anything actually change as far as how something works if you disable it?

6. iOZZY macrumors member

I did have this popping up on my iPhone 6 plus but after resetting location and privacy settings it hasn't returned.