Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
In Location Services, there is either an option for Never or Always. I only want an app (for example Weather Channel) to access my location only when I open the app. I don't want it hogging battery resources while the app is closed and in the background. But there is only 2 options, Never or Always. The App Store setting has the option of Never or While Using the App. Does that mean for a lot of these apps, it is either never at all, or yes they will use location but will also run in the background?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
In Location Services, there is either an option for Never or Always. I only want an app (for example Weather Channel) to access my location only when I open the app. I don't want it hogging battery resources while the app is closed and in the background. But there is only 2 options, Never or Always. The App Store setting has the option of Never or While Using the App. Does that mean for a lot of these apps, it is either never at all, or yes they will use location but will also run in the background?

Set it to never. And when you try to use an app that needs location services, it will prompt you to turn it on, so that the app can work properly. Just remember to turn it back off afterwards.

suriyun

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2014
There's a new option if the app developer supports it: "Never" "Always" and now "While Using App". E.g. see the settings for Apple's Camera app.

Odd behavior with settings though: When I did a clean update to go to IOS 8, the new option is there. When I restored my backup, its back to just "Never" and "Always".

Hopefully this gets fixed in an update.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
The native weather app is the only one doing this. I use it often, but I don't need it "Always." I just want it updated when I open it.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
Most of the absurd that you always in my settings, I do not have the GPS icon showing at all times. This is strange I do hope they fix it soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.