Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RJCP

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
Hi guys. I've just updated (via DFU restore) both my 5S and my iPad air to ios8.

Hassle free upgrade but in both devices I now have the location services indicator always on.

Anyone else
Experiencing the same?

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
For me, Apple Store was keeping it on full time. I switched off location services for Apple Store and it went out.

I'm guessing the Apple Store app needs to be updated for iOS 8.

CrzyP

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2012
Location services always on

I noticed this too. I used to manage this by disabling background refresh, but the apps that are using location services are not showing up in background refresh anymore. I should note that this only applies to some apps.

Yun0

macrumors 68000
Jun 12, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
only american eagle does this & sometimes bbm, but i noticed even though it had the location icon on constantly, my battery life wasnt changing

CrzyP

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2012
Well my Google field trip app says that background refresh is disabled but it doesn't show up in the background refresh settings. Looks like there's a bug.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
For me, Apple Store was keeping it on full time. I switched off location services for Apple Store and it went out.

I'm guessing the Apple Store app needs to be updated for iOS 8.

Had the same issue the other day on iOS7 after updating to the new version of the Apple Store app.

SimonTheSoundMa

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2006
Birmingham, UK
That's the problem though. It's still running after disabling. Also, some apps that are using location services aren't even showing up in the background app refresh settings.
Apps only built to use BAR will show, apps can still run in the background and use GPS.

BAR is more aimed at pushing new data to devices such as status updates, news feeds etc, so when you open the app they are preloaded.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.