Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

donm3ga

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 19, 2008
I know when you use location services it affects your battery life. My question is does having location services turned on but not using it affect your battery life? Is location services only being used when you see the icon on the top right? Or does it run in the background as well when your phone is either idle or in an app that doesnt require location services?

Thanks.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
I know when you use location services it affects your battery life. My question is does having location services turned on but not using it affect your battery life? Is location services only being used when you see the icon on the top right? Or does it run in the background as well when your phone is either idle or in an app that doesnt require location services?

Thanks.

It shouldn't drain the battery unless something is using it.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Apps can use Location Services in the background in iOS 4, which will affect battery life. But you'll see a little arrow in the status bar if that's the case. If nothing is using Location Services it won't affect your battery.

donm3ga

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 19, 2008
So location services is only affecting my battery if I see the icon. Otherwise its not doing anything.

Thanks!

crashnburn

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2009
So leaving Location Services ENABLED is not going drain battery life.. as long as there is no active usage by any given App?

Is that correct?

Is it the same with DATA being ENABLED.

I enable/disable Location & Data using the SBSettings Toggles whenever I use/ stop using the relevant app.

Do I have to do this all the time or will I not have that much battery usage as long as my APP is stopped?

PaulyD

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2010
UK
You can get auto location in cydia for free, leave location services off and that will enable it when you need it within an app and turn it back off as required.

Only started using this the other day so not sure whether it helps but will see - certainly saves you toggling

crashnburn

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2009
You can get auto location in cydia for free, leave location services off and that will enable it when you need it within an app and turn it back off as required.

Only started using this the other day so not sure whether it helps but will see - certainly saves you toggling

How is this working out for you? Others?

Does location services actually consume battery? I am guessing cell phone is anyways always triangulating its location to do communication & handoffs with towers.

PS: Okay in Cydia when I install it it 'cant find the file'. I am on 4.2.1 - Do I have to be on 4.3.2 ?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.