Location Services and battery life

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Lizamyniza, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Lizamyniza macrumors newbie

I have an iPhone 3GS, and my battery life in the past week has deteriorated greatly. I started finding my phone dead when I hadn't been using it and all apps were closed. At first, I thought something was wrong with the battery... But I also noticed that there was an icon displayed next to the battery % that wasn't normally there. I figured out that it was the icon for location services, letting me know that an app was using my location. The strange thing is that the icon is always there, even when I have all of my apps closed. I finally went ahead and turned all location services off in my settings, but I don't think I should have to do that. The battery life seems to be much improved, but I feel like this is still an issue. I did a restore on my phone and that didn't fix the problem. Suggestions? Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks!

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You obviously have something running in the background for that icon to be there. Have you checked the multi-task dock?

3. Lizamyniza thread starter macrumors newbie

I continuously close out all programs. There is nothing showing in the multi-task dock. It's very strange!

4. grimy macrumors member

5. jgozuna macrumors newbie

Same Issue

I have the same issue, except I'm running an iPhone 4, running 4.1, not jailbroken.

Over the past few weeks, I've noticed that the little purple location icon is ALWAYS on, and my battery life has dramatically decreased. It seems to improve once I turn GPS off (the little icon disappears),but I don't want to have to do that, especially since it wasn't an issue before.

What I've read on another website is that an app may have inadvertently turned the GPS permanently on. As to which app is causing this trouble is anyone's guess - the only way to find out I suppose is to restore the phone and then install each of my apps one by one to see which one is the culprit, but given that I have almost 200 apps, this seems like such a huge waste of time. Super frustrating - I hope someone can help.

6. TITNTUFF macrumors regular

TITNTUFF

check location services

it will indicate which apps have accessed your location in the last 24 hours