Location Services and inside buildings

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ltn, May 7, 2009.

1. ltn macrumors member

Hi, I was having trouble with my maps finding me with the Location services on a few days ago. I restored it and from my backup and seems to be a little better. However, I just wanted to know if you were inside a building or car, do other people's iphones not find them due to no line of site with the satellites? Thanks.

BTW I have a 3g iphone.

2. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Well, signals get reduced inside so it's natural for it to not find you or be as accurate than if you were outside. Also, the GPS usually only works when outside or in a car.

3. ltn thread starter macrumors member

I kind of assumed that about being inside. It has just been hit or miss in my car as well. Sometimes I get a good strong signal and sometimes it can't find me at all. I starting to think that my GPS antenna might be screwed up.

4. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Can you still register any wireless router - then it'll know the location of the wifi signal, and get you a quick lock that way?
    You can get a decent continuous lock inside a car - best to try and get a lock first outside the car - depends how you angle it and where in the car - but the most part you can use it. Sometimes might be a bit jumpy, but it's not currently supposed to be a SatNav.

5. ltn thread starter macrumors member

Yeah it is just weird because I can seriously be standing outside in the wideopen and I won't get a lock but then I can be inside a building by a window and get a signal right away. It just seems really intermittent, I am going to take it in tomorrow.

6. ltn thread starter macrumors member

I was just thinking. When I restored my phone I restored it from a backup. Should I have just set it up as a new phone and then loaded everything back on it?