Location services causing signal loop

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by james1241, May 13, 2015.

1. james1241 macrumors newbie

I got an unlocked iPhone 5s and put in my contract SIM. After my carrier eventually activated it I found the phone dropped signal to 'no service' constantly.

I sent off for another 5s (unlocked and refurbished as well) and this one has similar issues albeit not as bad. I've worked out that I can stabilise the signal by turning off location services, so the problem must be related to apps that use location causing the signal loss.

Has anyone heard of this problem before? I need a phone pretty urgently so i don't want to send another one back.

Also I thought it might be the SIM itself (and therefore a network issue) but the fact that turning off location services seems to help goes against this.

2. I7guy macrumors G5

Or that the second 5s functions similarly to the first 5s might point to the SIM card.

3. james1241 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have replaced the SIM and the problem persists. Really hope someone has some knowledge of this issue.

4. maik005 macrumors member

Hey,

look under settings-privacy-location services-system services

Disable "Cell network search"

Leave the other location services on.

Does that help?

Which iOS version?

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

Realistically you can disable most other system services too (short of perhaps ones you think you might need for something you actually do/use).

6. james1241 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried that, along with all other system services disabled, so I imagine stripped back to the bare GPS. It still happens.

The phone has also become quite temperamental, doing it ocassionally even with location services switched off.

iOS 8.3. Thanks.