Location Services icon comes on frequently, iOS6 / iPhone 5 ...

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by cmeisenzahl, Oct 5, 2012.

1. cmeisenzahl macrumors 6502

I see it come on often, for no apparent reason. But usually goes off again after a few seconds.

Seems to happen nearly every time I press the round hardware button to wake-up the phone.

I've disabled location services for all but a few apps that obviously need it, and none of them are running now. And I've even disabled LS for most system services.

I've restarted the phone with no apparent change. I don't recall this behavior with the 4S on iOS 5.x.

Any ideas or guesses?

Thanks in advance,
    Chris

2. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I'd shut them ALL off then start turning them on one at a time.. try to figure out what service is pinging locations all the time. Otherwise, your battery life will most likely suffer. :eek:

3. cmeisenzahl thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, I'll probably try that next.

4. Electric turd macrumors member

5. cmeisenzahl thread starter macrumors 6502

Interesting. I think I might have found the culprit. Looks like it was the iOS6 Passport app.

Looking back I updated the Starbucks app a few days ago. At the time it asked me if I wanted to sync it with Passport. I said "sure." And the LS icon has been coming on frequently ever since, even though Passport wasn't technically running.

I turned off LS for the Passport app and haven't seen the behavior since.

Lesson learned. ;-)