Location Services - iOS 7

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by jahall05, Oct 18, 2013.

1. jahall05 macrumors regular

Hey guys,

I have an iPhone 5 and I was wondering if there were any "system services" under location services that I should leave on, or should I just switch them all off?

Here is the list in case anyone wants to know what they are:

Cell Network Search
    Compass Calibration
    Diagnostics and Usage
    Location-Based iAds
    Popular Near Me
    Setting Time Zone
    Traffic
    Wi-Fi Networking
    Frequent Locations

Thanks in advance!

2. Fatboy71 macrumors 65816

Fatboy71

I've got all mine turned off. Traffic is I believe used by the Maps app to gather traffic information from other iPhone users using the Maps app.

Most I find are unnecessary and are just a battery drain, especially the Setting Time Zone. This uses your GPS constantly to know your location, so that the time on your iPhone is set correctly. Good perhaps if you are a frequent traveller and don't want to have to keep altering the time on your iPhone. But personally I would rather set the time myself and save a heap of battery life in the process.

3. Zcott macrumors 68020

4. liteshow macrumors regular

5. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Here we are .... Everyone with a personal theory about battery drain and what is needed and what is not.
    Basically no one really know.

I keep all of them on except diagnostic and iAds (I hate them, no other reason).
    In my experience the difference between all on and all of is very very little.

Btw battery on my iPhone just sucks since iOS 7 installation ....

6. Fantasigraphic macrumors 65816

Unless Apple fixed it at one time the Setting Time Zone was the culprit for the mass battery drain. I def keep this one OFF regardless. Rest of them other than Diagnostics, iAds and Popular Near Me I keep those off as well. Rest I have ON and my Battery is really solid!

7. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Do you have any documentation about setting time zone bug ?
    Last time I checked, it was a problem with iOS 5, already solved (never had battery drain issue with iOS 6)

8. Cell-666 macrumors 6502

I found the frequent locations thing is the culprit for draining my battery. Ios6 I'd constantly have eight hour usage and three days standby. Ios7 that went down to 5 hours usage and less than a day standby. Turned Frequent Location off and I'm now back to ios6 usage which is fine with me.

As far as turning them or off if you battery life your after turn them off, if you want all the functions working in the background ready to be used then turn them on.

9. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Frequent locations already off for me: it changed something but not so much.

I'm investigating for a Safari iCloud sync issue : it seems to be always trying to send data ....

10. Cell-666 macrumors 6502

Defiantly changed mine for the better. Just finishing do a from flat charge so will see over the next few days if I get the same results.

11. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Here's my location setup and I get 6-10 hours of battery per charge.

Attached Files:

12. Nevaborn macrumors 65816

Nevaborn

Used to have all off on iOS6 and before. But now as my battery is a bit better I leave them on.

My issue with location services is how inaccurate my location it. Weather is right but I'm a couple miles from where it says I am.

13. scoop2mylue macrumors 6502a

scoop2mylue

might try to turn a couple of mine off and see if there is any difference

14. Fantasigraphic macrumors 65816

You an internet/apple cop? "Any documentation... Blah blah blah and Last time I checked...Blah Blah Blah"

And yes you are correct it was ios5 NOT 6 so as I bow down to you to beg for my forgiveness I apologize for incorrectly stating the wrong firmware.

15. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I'm not a cop ... I just ask for any confirmation about a new battery drain bug related to that old problem, and it's not the case ....

16. Rigby macrumors 601

I would recommend to leave at least Cell Network Search, Traffic and Wi-Fi Networking on, since they allow the phone to send anonymous data to Apple that help keep their crowdsourced location and traffic databases updated. Remember that this is what we all rely on to get the location very quickly without having to wait for a GPS fix (and also works indoors if a known WIFI hotspot is nearby).

Personally, I only turn Diagnostics and Usage, Location-Based iAds and
    Popular Near Me off, since I am not interested in location-based ads and feel that there is not enough transparency about exactly what information is included in the diagnostics that are sent to Apple.

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

Have kept them all off on multiple devices since whenever I could, at least iOS 6 if not 5 or earlier. Don't think I've ever seen anything negative from keeping them all off.

18. Zcott macrumors 68020

19. Rigby macrumors 601

Well, for one thing, if you turn off compass calibration in iOS 7, third party apps will no longer be able to access the compass. This means, for example, that the compass mode and the fabulous "look-around" streetview mode in Google Maps no longer work.

20. adam044 macrumors 65816

adam044

21. C DM macrumors Westmere

Interesting, never had a problem with either one of those things in Google Maps (while having everything including Compass Calibration turned off in system location settings).

22. Rigby macrumors 601

Just try it. I think this has been changed in iOS 7.

23. C DM macrumors Westmere

What do you know, I had to play around with it some more, and you are right it seems. I recall it usually working just fine without anything enabled in system location settings, but it seems I might be remembering how it was before iOS 7. Seems like there might be one setting I might need to enable there after all.