Location services on ipod touch and wifi ipad using Mifi

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by noahrobd, Oct 16, 2010.

1. noahrobd macrumors member

I am considering getting MiFi service in the U.S. for an iPod Touch. I may in the future also use it with an iPad and/or Mac. I am looking into getting it from either Verizon, Clear or Virgin Mobile. Does anyone have any experience using locations services on the iPod Touch or Wifi only iPad when connected to a MiFi device with service from one of these wireless providers (or from another Wireless provider). I'm aware that location services on ios devices without gps rely on physical street addresses registered to wifi routers that the ios device can see. I'm wondering if the location services and maps works (and if so, how well it works) when an ios device without a gps is connected to a mifi device. Also, particularly when no wifi routers, (other than the mifi device) are in the vicinity for the ios device to be able to reach them, (but also when they are in the vicinity.)

Also, are there any gps add on hardware devices for the ipod touch and wifi only iPad that location services and maps can use without requiring jail breaking the ipod touch or ipad?

Thanks in advance for your help. I did searched the forums and the web, but did no find anything definitive.

2. qwertywelch macrumors newbie

I've never used a MiFi device, but I think iOS can only pick up your location using WiFi or (on iPhone) cellular service.

3. Bacong macrumors 68020

Bacong

Isn't a MIFI just a cellular data connection anyway? It should work just fine, I don't see why it wouldn't.

4. tucker61 macrumors regular

I use Mifi in uk and it dos not pick up location services here.

5. Mr Slippy IV macrumors 6502

Mr Slippy IV

It's possible, but extremely unlikely, as the iPod relies on one coordinate set being assigned to the router's MAC address.

6. dmunz macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I used a Clear 4g USB modem with a portable WiFi router and my location was spot on using the map app on my touch. I was actually very impressed as I drove through Houston and it matched the location from my BlackBerry GPS the whole time.

FWIW
    DLM

7. ronster22 macrumors member

Dual XGPS251 or XGPS300 GPS cradle for iPod Touch...there is a post in the apps forums for the XGPS300 GPS cradle....check it out.

8. eddy2099 macrumors member

I am using a Mifi here myself with my iPod Touch. It is not as accurate as the GPS but it does give you a general sense of where you are.

The Maps which comes with the iPod Touch 4 works with the Location Service via Mifi. I supposed it would just use the location of the nearest cellular base station to provide the coordinates.

I am using it in Singapore.