location services spotlight always on

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Zxxv, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Zxxv Suspended

I did a search for this on the forum and google and found nothing.

Every now and then location services icon stays on for spotlight even though I'm not doing anything spotlight related. It stays on until I reboot my iPhone. There is a switch in locations services/system services that now says 'status bar icon' show the icon when services above request your location. In iOS 7 or maybe earlier iOS 8 this used to switch the icon on/off but it appears to be a oh **** we can't fix this so we will just switch the icon off for you button/switch.

Im wondering if anyone has found a fix for this as I like to know when services are using my location via the icon lighting on/off

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

When you say your not doing anything spotlight related you realise opening safari would cause an update to spotlight in location services. That's just one example.

Spotlight enhances various search areas throughout iOS and polling your location enhances the information you get from your phone.

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

That switch has always been there as I recall...what's different about it now?

4. Zxxv thread starter Suspended

It only switches off the icon coming on for those location services. Before it switched it off totally so it disappeared from the top of the screen.

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

As I recall it only controlled whether or not the icon at the top of the screen would appear whenever those system services used location (basically you could set it so that you would see it when they used location services, or you simply wouldn't see it when they used location services). Are you saying that as of iOS 8.4 it does something different despite it being the same option and specifically referencing "status bar icon"?

6. Zxxv thread starter Suspended

yes. It allows the other services that use location services in the other menu, the app menu, to show the location icon when they use location services. Before switching this option off would cut the icon off totally.

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

You mean it used apply not only to system services but also the apps themselves (that are on a different screen)? From what I recall (I'm on iOS 9 beta right now, where it's working correctly as follows) that hasn't been the case in my experience as I would still see the location arrow for various apps even at times when that system status bar icon was disabled.

That said, if for some reason it was working for you (and perhaps others) the way you described it, and is now only applicable to system services (rather than all/any location usage), then it seems that it's now finally working correctly.

8. Zxxv thread starter Suspended

No its a mask for not sorting out system services that are only meant to use location services now and again. They turn on all the time, apple programmers don't know how to fix it so they change the function of the switch to just hide it for those services. They still run all the time when they shouldn't but now you don't know because the icon is not displaying. Looking at the location icon next to the serve shows its still running. A reboot is returns it to functioning normally. Its a hack job.

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

The system services are meant to run in the background and come on at different times for different things. I often end up keeping most of mine off, but even when I don't they don't usually just stay on all the time. The icon setting isn't some masking of a problem, it's a setting of whether or not you want to see that icon for background system services that many people are fine with being there and using location services when needed but don't necessarily care to see the arrow icon associated with them and only care about seeing it when/if an app is using location services.

10. Zxxv thread starter Suspended

I've failed to explain my point I see.

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

I think I got it--that there's always been an issue with system services and the location services icon switch was really there to help mask that issue--I was just saying that's not really the reason as to why it has been there.