Location services - what the heck?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by ideal.dreams, Sep 19, 2014.

1. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I have a Link from Automatic that plugs into my car's diagnostic port and sends data to its own app on my phone to record trips, gas MPG data, etc. Since upgrading to iOS 8, the Automatic app is constantly using a geofence of my location, even though the app is completely closed and I have disabled background refreshing for it.

The only way to stop it from using my location in the background is to disable location services for it, which effectively breaks the functionality of the app since its primary goal is to record trips.

Anyone know of a work around for this? I have a feeling this is going to eat a hell of a lot of battery life. I thought the point of disabling background app refresh was so that apps couldn't um...refresh in the background

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Is there any background setting within the app for the device that could be enabled/disabled? In location services any settings to only let the location run while the app is being used rather than anytime/always?

3. ideal.dreams thread starter macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

There are no settings within the app for disabling the use of location services in the background. The only two options for the app's permission to use location in settings are never and always.