Location Systems Services Settings - What Do I Need?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by ghsNick, Sep 28, 2014.

1. ghsNick, Sep 28, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2014

ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

So I want to make my battery last as long as possible without removing services I may need or want. These are the services I have turned On/Off right now and I'm wondering what all these mean and if I need them?

Thanks - any feedback would be great.

Attached Files:

2. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Part 2

Attached Files:

3. klvr0 macrumors newbie

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

Aside from Find My iPhone (if you enable that service for your device) you don't really need any of the other ones.

5. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

i only have the first three on

cell network search
    compass calibration
    find my iPhone

all the other ones are turned off on my daily driver. and in reality, you don't really even need cell network search on either. but thats what i have on. same thing for my 5S when i had it.

6. Nolander07 macrumors 6502a

I have only find my phone and location based alerts. The purple or grey arrows never come on for those either.

7. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

You can turn cell network search off. That feature just geotags cell towers and sends the locations to Apple. It's not required for your phone to function.

8. Zxxv Suspended

I don't think you need share my location turned on in that menu. If you look at the way apple word it its very open to hmm

Are they saying you turn this on your location is sent anonymously to apple to be part of a crowd data map. That it doesn't stop your friends from seeing you if you've shared from another privacy menu?

There is a bullet point in front of Share My Location and the sentance The crowd-sourced is started on a new line directly under same as you see it above. Its the last entry. Its sneaky.

9. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Honestly guys if your running a 5s or newer iPhone with an m chip you really don't need to worry about these toggles

10. Zxxv Suspended

Agree.

I misread and thought some of it was to do with people wanting privacy.

11. tennisproha macrumors 6502a

wow thank you. I had no idea apple posted a support doc on this (however it is incomplete). why they don't add this into the manual is beyond me. do they really expect everyone to scavenge the support pages.

12. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

They don't advertise it because to most people it's inconsequential. All the data is encrypted and anonymous for a start and most enhance the end users experience. Hell it's not like a Google phone where your life is there's.

13. tennisproha macrumors 6502a

people keep telling me I should check out Google's superior iOS. Never had an android but you're just referring to their ad based business model right?

Btw, nice avatar!

14. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Thanks.

I was referring to the eula which states that everything you store on there servers is basically there's to do with as they please.