Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
So I want to make my battery last as long as possible without removing services I may need or want. These are the services I have turned On/Off right now and I'm wondering what all these mean and if I need them?

Thanks - any feedback would be great.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Aside from Find My iPhone (if you enable that service for your device) you don't really need any of the other ones.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
i only have the first three on

cell network search
compass calibration
find my iPhone

all the other ones are turned off on my daily driver. and in reality, you don't really even need cell network search on either. but thats what i have on. same thing for my 5S when i had it.

Nolander07

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
I have only find my phone and location based alerts. The purple or grey arrows never come on for those either.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
i only have the first three on

cell network search
compass calibration
find my iPhone

all the other ones are turned off on my daily driver. and in reality, you don't really even need cell network search on either. but thats what i have on. same thing for my 5S when i had it.

You can turn cell network search off. That feature just geotags cell towers and sends the locations to Apple. It's not required for your phone to function.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
I don't think you need share my location turned on in that menu. If you look at the way apple word it its very open to hmm

Share My Location: You can choose to share your current location with others, on a temporary or ongoing basis, from within certain apps, such as Messages and Find my Friends.
The crowd-sourced location data gathered by Apple doesn't personally identify you.

Are they saying you turn this on your location is sent anonymously to apple to be part of a crowd data map. That it doesn't stop your friends from seeing you if you've shared from another privacy menu?

There is a bullet point in front of Share My Location and the sentance The crowd-sourced is started on a new line directly under same as you see it above. Its the last entry. Its sneaky.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Honestly guys if your running a 5s or newer iPhone with an m chip you really don't need to worry about these toggles

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Honestly guys if your running a 5s or newer iPhone with an m chip you really don't need to worry about these toggles

Agree.

I misread and thought some of it was to do with people wanting privacy.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
wow thank you. I had no idea apple posted a support doc on this (however it is incomplete). why they don't add this into the manual is beyond me. do they really expect everyone to scavenge the support pages.

They don't advertise it because to most people it's inconsequential. All the data is encrypted and anonymous for a start and most enhance the end users experience. Hell it's not like a Google phone where your life is there's.

tennisproha

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2011
Texas
They don't advertise it because to most people it's inconsequential. All the data is encrypted and anonymous for a start and most enhance the end users experience. Hell it's not like a Google phone where your life is there's.

people keep telling me I should check out Google's superior iOS. Never had an android but you're just referring to their ad based business model right?

Btw, nice avatar!

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
people keep telling me I should check out Google's superior iOS. Never had an android but you're just referring to their ad based business model right?

Btw, nice avatar!

Thanks.

I was referring to the eula which states that everything you store on there servers is basically there's to do with as they please.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.