Locations of data for backup

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jakobox, Oct 12, 2008.

1. jakobox macrumors newbie

I've been using Mozy for quite some time, but recently it's been really wonky. I've been on a trial with Sugarsync, and the program seems a lot better.

However, one really convenient thing about Mozy, is that it had the data sets integrated in the program, so I would just check a box and it would create a data set that backed up everything for Address Book, iCal or whatnot.

I *think* I discovered where these files are located, so I can back them up with sugarsync. However, I figure that after my hard drive fails is the wrong time to be learning that I wasn't backing up the appropriate files.

I was able to find instructions for this thing on Tiger, but it appears that things have changed a bit for Leopard.

I found Address Book data at [user]/library/application support/address book
    iCal data at [user]/calendars
    Mail at [user]/Mail

My hope is that in the case of a hard drive crash, I can just restore the files in these folders to the same location in the new hard drive and I'll be up and running again. Can anyone verify whether my assumption is correct?

Also while I'm at it, any other mission critical files that would be a good idea to add to Sugarsync?

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

For iCal and Address Book, if you open up the application and go to the File menu, you'll have options to "Backup iCal" and "Archive Address Book." I don't remember if there's something similar for Mail, sadly I'm not in front of my Mac right now so I can't say for sure one way or another...

3. jakobox thread starter macrumors newbie

The thing is, I'm trying to work things out so it's backed up automatically, and doesn't require me to do this every time. I assume that Mozy just pointed to all the files on the Mac hard drive that were necessary for these backup operations, and I want to just do the same thing.