Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thomasparra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2022
There is a sensitive folder on my iCloud Drive that I would like to password protect (pw/touchID). How is that achievable so I can read it over Mac or iOS? Is the only option to create an image file? Can I keep adding files to the image without having to make a new one each time? Hopefully the new Mac OS comes with a native/integrated option but I highly doubt they will do this.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
The only built-in way I know of is the Disk Image method you mentioned.

The problem is that you have to create a new Disk Image with a pre-set amount of space, say 5 GB or whatever amount you think you'll need going forward.

Once you do, you can add or remove any files you want until you fill the allotted amount of space. It effectively becomes an external storage drive.

I don't know of any way to view that disk image on iOS though.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
The problem is that you have to create a new Disk Image with a pre-set amount of space, say 5 GB or whatever amount you think you'll need going forward.

I think you can make a sparse disk image that can be resized.

Sparse disk image: Creates an expandable file that shrinks and grows as needed. No additional space is used. Uses the .sparseimage file extension.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.