Lock a folder.

iEugene

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2006
137
0
AZ
Hey everyone, is there anyway to lock a folder tha requires a password (or the master password) to open it?

Thanks.
 

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
5,116
6
iEugene said:
Hey everyone, is there anyway to lock a folder tha requires a password (or the master password) to open it?

Thanks.
Create a .dmg that requires a password to open. Dont think you cxan do it on actual folders but i could be wrong. Would be interesting to find out.
 

mufflon

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2006
264
2
well yu could also chmod the map using chmod 000 in the terminal (none allowed to read / write), but there won't be any cleckup on password if you just doubli click the map - you just won't be able to read / open it
 

Lixivial

macrumors 6502a
mufflon said:
well yu could also chmod the map using chmod 000 in the terminal (none allowed to read / write), but there won't be any cleckup on password if you just doubli click the map - you just won't be able to read / open it
Well, working off that concept, chowning to root:wheel should allow for a password to be asked when it is opened.

EDIT: Haha, root:wheel, not root:root. Silly misthunks.
 

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
1,596
8
NH
iEugene said:
Hey everyone, is there anyway to lock a folder tha requires a password (or the master password) to open it?

Thanks.
Or just keep your porn on an external hard drive and keep it in a lockbox when not using it.
 

slackersonly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006
525
0
I use this for an extra level of security on business docs (lending company so lots of personal id info in my docs).
Locker
 

mkaake

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2003
1,153
0
mi
If you back up to OS9, there was a golden built in solution there.

In X, you need to create a protected disc image.

Not nearly as elegant. I miss encrypted folders.
 

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
15,925
1
Portland, OR
slackersonly said:
I use this for an extra level of security on business docs (lending company so lots of personal id info in my docs).
Locker
?

FYI: There's no much security here... just the lock bit on/off?

The safest way, without a doubt, is to create an encrypted disk image with Disk Utility.
 

slackersonly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006
525
0
yellow said:
?

FYI: There's no much security here... just the lock bit on/off?

The safest way, without a doubt, is to create an encrypted disk image with Disk Utility.
I am not using this to thwart the CIA. :cool:
Just an extra level of security for when I am away from my desk.
 

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
15,925
1
Portland, OR
slackersonly said:
I am not using this to thwart the CIA. :cool:
Just an extra level of security for when I am away from my desk.
But.. but.. all it does is mean that file/folder X can't be renamed or trashed.
Anyone with access to it (permission wise) can still open it/view the contents, etc...
I just don't want you to put hope of security for usernames/passwords/financial data/personal data in a basket that has a big hole in it.
 

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
15,925
1
Portland, OR
quigleybc said:
What about using hideout.

It will hide a folder, and require a password to view it.
Equally worthless..

To hide the folder, it adds a period (.) to the beginning of the folder's name, which hides it from the Finder. Which means, 1) use the terminal to rename it and it's visible without a password. Or show "invisible" files in the Finder and it's visible and accessible with no password.

IMO, that makes it worthless against anyone except the casual user.
 

iEugene

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2006
137
0
AZ
keysersoze said:
Or just keep your porn on an external hard drive and keep it in a lockbox when not using it.
Haha. Nice come back.

Actually there were passwords to things I didn't want folks looking at while over, but that would work none the less for porn. Though, living alone as I do, looking at porn isn't a problem. :cool: