Lock button no longer responsive? Ideal upgrade time?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacAttackKev, Dec 6, 2014.

1. MacAttackKev macrumors member

Hey all,
    I've had my 4S for a while and it seemed to being doing great, but recently (in a day) the lock button isn't as responsive anymore and requires extra force to lock/unlock it. I'm trying to avoid using it as I feel it will only make it worse if I apply more force to it.

Is there a simple fix for this/ anyone know much it would cost to repair?
    I was contemplating on upgrading to the 6, but at the time verizon was offering a $100 trade in rate for my 4s, which I don't think I can get anymore with a busted lock button.
    Money is a bit tight at the moment so I'm also keeping the 5s as an option as well, but the fact that it's already a bit outdated worries me, I'm not the type of person to upgrade frequently, and I'd prefer the phone to last me a while.

In the long run I'd like to upgrade unless the fix for my 4s doesn't require much, does it?

Any help is appreciate, Thanks :)

2. Crichton333 macrumors 6502

Crichton333

My buttons on the 4 would stop responding but a restart and or resync would fix that. Also when I had tons of apps and music.

3. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

It's probably just a worn button. It's on it's own ribbon cable. The part is about $6. If you are comfortable doing it yourself, that would be your cost. If you need to pay someone to do it, I would expect anywhere from about $25-50 for parts and labor. Plenty of malls have repair kiosks that will give you a quote for repairs too.

IMO the 4/4S are the easiest devices to work on due to how easily they come apart.