Lock button only works on left edge [Question]

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by latormenta, May 28, 2013.

1. latormenta macrumors member

I purchased my iPhone 5 on Jan 26, along with AppleCare+. Don't use a case. Recently, the lock button has stopped responding expect when pressed on the very left edge.

Does this fall under the 1 year manufacturer's warranty and can I get a replacement for it at no cost, or will I have to pay $50 and use one of my AppleCare+ replacements? Do I just take it to the Genius Bar, or do I call in for an appointment?

Thanks

2. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Lock button only works on left edge [Question]

Yes applecare+ covers that. Make an appointment. Thats what the + is lol.
    It will cost 50$. It actually might not if it is not accidental. Idk exactly actually.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

3. ross1998 macrumors 6502a

Please don't give op false information if you are not sure.

To op: you will have to make a appointment and standard 1 year warranty will cover your phone if there are no cracks or big dents in your phone. So you won't have to use your AppleCare+ or pay 50 bucks

4. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Ok:)

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

5. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Hmmm, kind of sounds like you're not sure there...

6. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Gold. :D

7. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

After about six months I had the same problem with my iPhone 5. I do not have Apple Care. I made an appointment at my local Apple Store, the employee immediately noticed the problem, acknowledged that it was something he has seen before, and replaced my phone within a couple minutes. Didn't cost me anything. I assume that was because it is covered under the 1-year warranty.

8. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

Same exact situation (faulty lock button), no apple care and phone was replaced in a couple minutes.

9. ross1998 macrumors 6502a

Auctally I was sure and just like I wrote look at the 3 comments before this one, they all got theirs replaced without AppleCare+. Not trying to start any arguments here or anything:)

10. latormenta thread starter macrumors member

11. ross1998 macrumors 6502a

Yup please report back if you go to the apple store and tell us how it went:)

12. latormenta thread starter macrumors member

Finally got around to it. Was in and out in 10 minutes. No hassle at all, the lady saw the issue and immediately went to grab me a new phone.

13. imjoee macrumors 6502

imjoee

hi, had the same problem. half my sleep/wake button didn't work so i called apple and they created an appointment for me next day. I didn't have any applecare, but they gave me a refurbished iphone 5 anyway since the employee couldn't fix it. lastly, to answer your question, it doesn't cost anything and yes, it is covered under the 1 year limited warranty.

----------

oh... didn't see your response. glad everything worked out!

14. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Wrong. It cost nothing. Don't post on things you don't know about.

15. zschiffman macrumors member

having the same issue with my iphone5 lock button. However, I am a dev running ios7....will they still replace it? or should i downgrade first?

16. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

Chances are, they will replace it on the spot and you or they will wipe it right there in front of you. My suggestion is to restore it to iOS 6 before you go there. Keep in mind when you get your new one, you can't restore your iOS 7 backup to it until its on iOS 7 too. So you will have to use an old backup or add the new UDID to your dev account, load 7, then restore your backup.

17. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

This exact issue (left side even) happened to me about 2 or 3 weeks ago. I went into an Apple store and they replaced it on the spot. No questions asked. This falls within the 1 year manufacturer's warranty. Should have nothing to do with iOS versions as this is a hardware issue.