Lock button only works on left edge [Question]

latormenta

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2012
I purchased my iPhone 5 on Jan 26, along with AppleCare+. Don't use a case. Recently, the lock button has stopped responding expect when pressed on the very left edge.

Does this fall under the 1 year manufacturer's warranty and can I get a replacement for it at no cost, or will I have to pay $50 and use one of my AppleCare+ replacements? Do I just take it to the Genius Bar, or do I call in for an appointment?

Thanks

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
Lock button only works on left edge [Question]

I purchased my iPhone 5 on Jan 26, along with AppleCare+. Don't use a case. Recently, the lock button has stopped responding expect when pressed on the very left edge.

Does this fall under the 1 year manufacturer's warranty and can I get a replacement for it at no cost, or will I have to pay $50 and use one of my AppleCare+ replacements? Do I just take it to the Genius Bar, or do I call in for an appointment?

Thanks
Yes applecare+ covers that. Make an appointment. Thats what the + is lol.
It will cost 50$. It actually might not if it is not accidental. Idk exactly actually.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

ross1998

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2013
It will cost 50$. It actually might not if it is not accidental. Idk exactly actually.

Please don't give op false information if you are not sure.

To op: you will have to make a appointment and standard 1 year warranty will cover your phone if there are no cracks or big dents in your phone. So you won't have to use your AppleCare+ or pay 50 bucks

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA

To op: you will have to make a appointment and standard 1 year warranty will cover your phone if there are no cracks or big dents in your phone. So you won't have to use your AppleCare+ or pay 50 bucks
Ok:)

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008

Hmmm, kind of sounds like you're not sure there...

TonyC28

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2009
USA
After about six months I had the same problem with my iPhone 5. I do not have Apple Care. I made an appointment at my local Apple Store, the employee immediately noticed the problem, acknowledged that it was something he has seen before, and replaced my phone within a couple minutes. Didn't cost me anything. I assume that was because it is covered under the 1-year warranty.

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
After about six months I had the same problem with my iPhone 5. I do not have Apple Care. I made an appointment at my local Apple Store, the employee immediately noticed the problem, acknowledged that it was something he has seen before, and replaced my phone within a couple minutes. Didn't cost me anything. I assume that was because it is covered under the 1-year warranty.
Same exact situation (faulty lock button), no apple care and phone was replaced in a couple minutes.

latormenta

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2012
Yup please report back if you go to the apple store and tell us how it went:)
Finally got around to it. Was in and out in 10 minutes. No hassle at all, the lady saw the issue and immediately went to grab me a new phone.

imjoee

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2012

Thanks
hi, had the same problem. half my sleep/wake button didn't work so i called apple and they created an appointment for me next day. I didn't have any applecare, but they gave me a refurbished iphone 5 anyway since the employee couldn't fix it. lastly, to answer your question, it doesn't cost anything and yes, it is covered under the 1 year limited warranty.

----------

Finally got around to it. Was in and out in 10 minutes. No hassle at all, the lady saw the issue and immediately went to grab me a new phone.
oh... didn't see your response. glad everything worked out!

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011

Wrong. It cost nothing. Don't post on things you don't know about.

zschiffman

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2008
Norwalk, CT
having the same issue with my iphone5 lock button. However, I am a dev running ios7....will they still replace it? or should i downgrade first?

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
having the same issue with my iphone5 lock button. However, I am a dev running ios7....will they still replace it? or should i downgrade first?
Chances are, they will replace it on the spot and you or they will wipe it right there in front of you. My suggestion is to restore it to iOS 6 before you go there. Keep in mind when you get your new one, you can't restore your iOS 7 backup to it until its on iOS 7 too. So you will have to use an old backup or add the new UDID to your dev account, load 7, then restore your backup.

CosmoPilot

macrumors 65816
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina

Thanks
This exact issue (left side even) happened to me about 2 or 3 weeks ago. I went into an Apple store and they replaced it on the spot. No questions asked. This falls within the 1 year manufacturer's warranty. Should have nothing to do with iOS versions as this is a hardware issue.