Lock code app. question

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Learylvr., Dec 4, 2011.

1. Learylvr. macrumors regular

Learylvr.

Hi all,
    I've been dismayed to see, how easy it is for a thief to just set up a phone as new. Is there any point to having a lock code on my phone then? Is there any app at all, that will prevent a thief from just setting phone up as new and using phone? Why a lock code if it can be disabled and set up as new? I just find this amazing. Thanks for thoughts.

2. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

To protect your personal information and that of your contacts, if nothing else.

3. willcamp macrumors newbie

willcamp

4. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

No such app that I know of. If someone steals your phone, inform your carrier, among other things, as they have the means to prevent that phone from being activated again.

In general, though, regarding the lock code, it might help to think of it like a bank and a bank robber: a bank robber wants what's inside the bank -- money -- not the bank itself. Sure, if they managed to steal the bank, then they could use it to set up a new bank...but that's not what they're after.

Some thieves (maybe most, I don't know) couldn't care less about the data in your phone but others know its value and are after just that, especially since carriers can prevent phones from being activated, thereby rendering them essentially useless as phones.