Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tiny_101

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2005
Canada
Hi everyone,

I am still using Panther, but I am wondering if there is any way to lock the desktop while I am away?

- Thanks in advance !

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
I put a password on my screen saver then activate the bottom left of the screen as a hot corner to activate it. When I leave my Mac, I just drag the mousepointer bottom-left, then type in my password when I get back.

Ah, sorry. Just reread your post. Not sure if that works on Panther or not :(

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
DeskShade 2 by MacRabbit is a great piece of software. I recommend it.

EDIT-
It does a lot of things that I've never really asked it to do, such as rotating/managing desktop pictues, but the best features IMO are the lock and hide desktop functions. The lock desktop function not only allows you to define the locking via a keystroke, but it lets you display a message on the screen while locked. Also, it logs all keystrokes until the correct password is entered, so you can see what people might think your password is. Very useful if you're in an environment where you feel you have to lock your computer.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I'm don't have access to my Panther machine right now to check if this works, but here's a good way to do it in Tiger...there is probably something similar in Panther.

Applications --> Utilities --> Keychain Access. In the Preferences for Keychain Access, you can click an option to show the status in the menu bar. Checking that box make a little lock appear in the menu bar. You can click on that and go to "Lock Screen" when you leave your desk, activating your screensaver. You'll need to type in your password to get back to your desktop.

dynamicv's suggestion of the hot corner is also a quick way to do it, but I apparently don't have very good aim and am always activiating hot corners when I don't want to, so I've got them turned off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.