Lock down an external hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by zeppelin06, Jun 20, 2008.

1. zeppelin06 macrumors newbie

I already have an over the top complicated user login for my mbp. I do not use file vault because I don't like the idea of my files being a gigantic 'blob' I backup periodically to an external hard drive that sits on my desk. What I want to do is to password the drive so it can not be mounted by just anyone. I changed the user permissions recursively to my user account and checked to see if I could mount it logged in as guest and sure enough it wouldn't. My worry is that if I lose my main mbp drive and want to restore from my backup I won't be able too, because nothing no longer exists that has permission. I presume I can learn a unix command to fix it if that time ever comes, I just wanted something better.

So does anyone know of a way that the header or something can be locked down??? I am not looking for total 'no one could ever get around it' protection. Just something that prevents the normal user from plugging in my drive and hosing the contents. This is only of concern to me because I live in a dorm. Not that I don't trust anyone, its just that sometimes things get out of hand and I'm not always around. Thanks!

2. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

Just to be clear, File Vault doesn't really make your files a 'blob'. Are you thinking of Time Machine? All File Vault does is it encrypts your home directory. This has been known to slow things down, though.